Thread: Aerila Arrays in SE Iceland

Thanks

Default Aerila Arrays in SE Iceland

Hello All,
    Hope the Mods will allow this?
    As part of the investigations into another (WW2) thread (proceeding) I have been going over the Southern Peninsular of Iceland with a fine (GE!) toothcomb. Some of the communications things I was looking for, I have found. Some other communication things I was looking for, I have not found. I will keep looking.
    My theory is that if they bulldozed a track from the main road to a “site”, and if they dug a trench in which to lay electric and or comms cables, in WW2, then post-WW2 (and subsequently) as the facilities at the “site” were upgraded/changed then why bulldoze a new track, and/or dig a new trench? Many of the (technically ‘primitive’) systems evidence in WW2 is currently hidden under modern systems? But crop/soil marks are difficult to hide (and interpret!!!). And in Iceland there’s not a lot of soil!
    However – and as an OBTW – there is a very interesting image at GE 63.959085° -22.721040°. There are, apparently, 4 sets of parabolic aerials. Now at one stage in the nefarious period of my career I was involved in tropo-/forward-scatter as a transmit/receive system for VHF. Two of these westward facing aerial sets face Greenland (only 800+km away). Where did they terminate? The eastward facing pair (085T-ish) could terminate in Norway – but that’s 1400km away without dog-legging via the Faeroes. I am aware of the necessity of frequency/space/time/path variation/diversity to maintain a reasonably high percentage in this tx/rx system.
    Does somebody know, or can comment on these “aerials”. Hopefully, Ian The Radar will have the answer.
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello Peter

To be honest, this is not my field of research. But my uncle worked in Greenland with the Loran Stations back in the 1960s. Iceland was also covered with Loran Stations.

Think this will have your interest to read the website below:

http://www.loran-history.info/

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Finn, thanks yours – much appreciated.

But I would like to correct this thread, and bring it to a probable closure.
    1 Apologies for the QSD spelling and compass directions in the Thread Title – it wasn’t a ‘good day’!
    2 I am fairly certain that these 4 features are (just!) post-WW2 (but not by much!).
    3 They are, clearly, the bases for very large, parabolic, tropo-scatter aerials (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropospheric_scatter for the technical stuff). Now, no longer in use.
    4 I plotted the probable path directions on GE, and marked each where they crossed the coast of E Greenland (for the west-facing pair), and W Norway (for the east-facing pair).
    5 I then ‘flew’ (on FSX) down each path (in good weather at 1500ft AGL) to where it crossed the coast, and identified – from the 3-D cockpit view - the location of possible hill-top sites near-to.
    6 GE is, essentially, a flat, 2-D map – i.e no contours. The sites in 5 above were transferred to GE
    7 A thorough, and pains-taking (but not exhaustive!), search of GE – at v high mag! - in the areas was made for any evidence of possible past, or existing, communications facilities.
    8 Evidence was found (GE locs below) for all!
    9 The initial installation (including infrastructure (electric, water, sewage, etc, etc)) of many comms sites is often borne on military budgets – where the money numbers don’t matter! Subsequent military/civil/commercial users of the site will tend to use the pre-installed/paid infrastructure – rather than develop a completely new site (unless technical requirements preclude it).
    10 Therefore, modern comms sites/structures tend – in my opinion – to hide previous (WW2) installations (unless the site went out of use on a change of equipment/techniques).
    11 Akureyri Aviation Museum has maintained its 100% record (whether asked in English, or English & Google-Icelandic) – of not replying to emails!
    12a 65.546644° -38.977991° Isortoq, Greenland, evidence of 30m dia steerable aerial base (big aerial!). Near IS>GL track.
    12b 65.526863° -37.159342° Disused hut foundation (no shadow(s)) and winding track up to high-point at Kulusuk, Greenland (other evidence under cloud).
    12c 64.271922° -15.178982° Forward re-bro(?) station at Hofn, Iceland, on one of my Iceland>Norway legs.
    12d 62.565228° 6.071106° Radar/comms ‘golf-ball’ only 1.5km off one of my Iceland>Norway plots.
    12c 62.352764° 5.585717° Winding track up hill, with hut and parabolic aerials only 1.5km off one of my Iceland>Norway plots.
    13 Thankyou all (inc MODs) for your forebearance.
    14 Been an interesting couple of days doing the investigations! I liked it!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 15th March 2018 at 16:54.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!