Thread: Anson N9857 19 OTU ORB info or other?

Thanks

Default Anson N9857 19 OTU ORB info or other?

A good many years ago I did some research into the loss of Anson N9857 which crashed into a mountain in Sutherland during a training exercise on 13 April 1941.

I am trying to establish the source for some info I wrote back them (because I can't get to all my files and some may be unrecoverable).

The info concerned is this statement:=
    "The aircraft took off at 1018 hrs and set course for Inverness. At Oban they sent a radio message saying that they had descended to 500 feet in order to remain below the cloud base. Later they radioed their position at Kylerehea. By now they had run into bad weather, and by the time they arrived overhead at Stornoway airfield the visibility was bad and Stornoway airfield had closed its runways due to the depth of snow on them.At 1302 hrs, N9857 sent a message confirming their turning point at Cape Wrath. They indicated that they were attempting to climb over the bad weather. Approximately 10 minutes later, the Wireless Operator at RAF Stornoway picked up a very faint Morse message. "icing up...........lost power in port engine...........losing height........descending through 3,000 feet ......." and then nothing more after that."

I have copies of 19 OTU ORB but only Form 540 and I have read those through from time of accident for over a year and can't see the info anywhere.

Would it be in 19 OTU ORB Form 541, and if so does anyone have a copy they can check for me?

Or can anyone suggest what other source I would have used to get tht info?

Finally, does anyone have a useful suggestion of any free software available for reading .dbx files. I have back ups of an old Outlook Express e-mail system with lots of research info that I can't get to (where what I am looking for may be) and don't want to load it up into an existing e-mail system.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi Linzee,

welcome back after years:-)
    I have no own experience but I would suggest one of those

https://www.freeviewer.org/outlook-express/
    http://download.cnet.com/DBX-Open-Fi...-75914597.html
    https://turgs.com/dbx/viewer/

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Thanks you, I'll try not to vanish for so long again!

I tried the first option you suggested and it seems to work, it's basic but does the job, so thank you for the tip. I had rather hoped to find someone who has experience with one of the programmes as I'm sure I can't be the only one with an obsolete system holding info still required.

Still looking for the source for the info in my post........maybe an accident report rather than the ORB 541? Anyone got any bright ideas?

Thanks
    Linzee

Thanks

Were any of the crew Australian or Canadian? Might be from a service record?

Quick google tells me no!
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

It's not in the ORB, sounds like that came from an extract of a Form 412 or 765C.

Thanks

Hi Linzee

I have a good experience since many years with back-up of old Outlook Express correspondence, with the free version of MiTeC Mail Viewer.

http://www.mitec.cz/mailview.html

Finn

Thanks

Thanks to Dennis, Alan and Finn.

Alan, do you know where the Form 412 and 765C would be located in the AIR series?

Finn, glad the MiTec worked for you, I couldn't manage to get it to work for me. The first option Pavel suggested works though so I'm sorted thanks.

Linzee

Thanks

The 412 & 765 would have stayed with AHB, possibly a copy in the AIR 81 for the incident but that hasn't been released yet. My best guess was someone back when AHB were a bit friendlier got hold of a transcript, maybe Keith Bryers or Gary Brindle.

Thanks

Thanks Alan.........so the mystery continues. I had already checked with Keith and it wasn't from him. I don't think I was in contact with Gary so not likely to be from him.

The casualty pack should be in the next lot due to be available by end of next month so maybe it will appear in that (if not weeded out!).

Many thanks again for the help and suggestions.
    Linzee