Thread: Raymond George Jesty, WO RAF

Thanks

Default Raymond George Jesty, WO RAF

Can anyone help me with this man please?

RAYMOND GEORGE JESTY age 23 Warrant Officer/Pilot (1154257) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    Son of the late George Robert Jesty and of Edith Feodora Jesty of Luton, Bedfordshire.
    Died 27 August 1943 and buried in a CWG in Annan Cemetery, Dumfriesshire. (His death was registered in Annan)

The odd thing is that he is named on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial but there are no further details there.

His father George Robert seems to have died in Luton in 1941, and his mother Edith seems to have died in Dumfries in 1953.

Any information on him would be welcome.
    Ken

Thanks

Hello,

The following articles suggests there was a Raymond G. Jesty, who was a native of Hamilton. His father was from Detroit:

https://collections.museedelhistoire...hp?irn=5050588

and here:

https://collections.museedelhistoire...hp?irn=5050869

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 16th March 2018 at 21:43.

Thanks

Ken,

The Graves Registration Report Form lists his unit as 9 (C) O.T.U. The Statutory Deaths Register on the Scotland's People website records that he died 'at outlet of river Annan...due to War Operations (flying accident).' His N.O.K. is just given as 'G. J. Jesty.'

The next two entries are the same date and place:

GILLILAND, Samuel, Sgt., R.A.F. 1551639

BURNS, John, Cadet, A.T.C., aged 15.

A quick Google search for Gilliland shows that they were killed in Beaufort I AW234 - Ross posted details here :

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=24557

Another casualty was Cadet J. Sutton, A.T.C., presumably on the next page of the Statutory Deaths Register.

Jesty is on a very well-documented family tree on ancestry.co.uk, which states that he was born in Canada c.1921, but was living in Detroit by 1930. His father George Robert was working as a machinist at an automobile plant in the 1930 U.S. Census - he was born in Bristol, in 1890. He had arrived in Buffalo, N.Y. in 1913, then married his wife, Edith, also from Bristol, in Hamilton-Wentworth, Ontario in 1914. She had arrived in Quebec in 1913. George Robert died in Luton in 1941, having returned to the UK in 1938 to live in Bristol. Edith seems to have returned to the U.S.A. in 1947.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 17th March 2018 at 11:04.

Thanks

I cannot tell you anything about how he died.
    However like the men Stiggy128 was inquiring about yesterday, F/Sgt. Raymond George Jesty 1154257 was a member of No.53 Squadron during their posting to the USA and the Caribbean between July and December 1942. Jesty and his crew arrived back in the UK on 15 January 1943 aboard Hudson FK479 PZ-A and he was posted to No.9(C)OTU wef., March 1st 1943.

I am sorry to hear of another of these airmen Stiggy and I followed on their U.S. adventures died in the following months.
    Freshman

Thanks

If it is of any help, Ken, Raymond George Jesty's nickname was 'Hank' while with 53 Squadron ... He appears in two 53 Squadron group portraits, one taken in January 1942 at Limavady, and one taken in late December 1942 at Dorval in Canada at the end of 53 Squadron's tour in the USA and Caribbean.

Thanks

Many, many thanks everyone.
    Col for the newspaper reports to confirm the Canada link.
    Simon for all the detail on the crash and the family background,
    and to you 53 Squadron guys for adding to my "well I never new that" list.

Don't you just love it when a "thread" weaves itself into a history?

Best wishes
    Ken