Thread: Air Commodore Thomas George Skeats - a puzzle.

Thanks

Default Air Commodore Thomas George Skeats - a puzzle.

Air Commodore Thomas George Skeats, CBE, died on 1 December 1944 in the RAF Hospital at Northallerton in North Yorkshire and is buried in a CWG in Annan, Dumfrieshhire, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why.

His service history ( http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Skeats_TG.htm ) indicates that from when he joined the RFC in 1917 he served in various "support" roles throughout his career and was with 56 Wing - Maintainance Wing when he died.
    He did not seem to have served in Scotland at any time and there does not seem to be a family connection to Annan.
    I cannot find any mention of his funeral in the local newspapers which in itself is a bit "odd" - he was a senior officer! -
    nor can I find a reference to him anywhere else. (apart from the one above)

Anyone know the story?

Ken

Thanks

Thanks

Mojmir - thanks, I did spot that but it doesn't add anything.
    The only thing I have just found is that after 55 OTU moved out, Annan then served as a sub-site of No. 14 Maintenance Unit from August 1944 until August 1952 so a possible link but................

I noticed your location so you might be interested to know that buried near to Skeats is:

POSVA, KAREL – age 35 – Sergeant (788234) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    Karel and other members of the Free Czechoslovak Air Force were on a Wellington bomber of 6 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit at RAF Silloth in Cumberland when it crashed in the Solway Firth off Silloth during a bombing exercise.
    Born 1908 in Horovice, Czechoslovakia.
    Died – 24 April 1943.
    Commonwealth War Grave – Annan Cemetery.
    Other crewmen are buried in Troqueer Cemetery (DOSTAL and SIMON) and in St. Andrew's Cemetery (SCHEJBAL) in Dumfries.

Ken

Thanks

Thank you very much, Ken.
    I want to apologize - I didn't open his service history. Really nothing new for you.

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hello,

The 6(C)OTU Wellington lost on 24 April, 1943, was Mk.X HE496 - Caught fire and spun into sea off Silloth.

Crew (Alpha order):

788214 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) Jan DOMANSKY +
    787239 P/O (Pilot) Frantisek DOSTAL +
    138865 P/O (Nav.) Jindrich KOEPEL +
    788291 Sgt (Pilot) Leopold MARTINOVIE +
    788234 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.)Karel POSVA +
    787628 Sgt (Air Gnr.) Frantisek SCHEJBAL +
    787411 Sgt (Pilot) Karel SIMON +

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 19th March 2018 at 18:29.

Thanks

Mojmir - No apology needed. Thank your for your interest.

You and Col might be interested in this https://fcafa.com/2016/09/25/311-sqn...omber-command/

"Unfortunately crew 31, together with their instructor, F/O DOSTÁL František, were to perish when Wellington HE496 ‘33’ caught fire after an unexplained explosion and spun into the sea in the Solway Firth off Silloth, on the 24th of April 1943. The aircraft had taken off at 1610 hours for a practice bombing sortie over the range some 8 miles from the base. At 1630 hours it plunged into the sea remaining afloat for only a few minutes. (DOSTÁL’s body was washed up near the RAF range at West Preston on the 21st of June)."

Other members of the crew are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial - Jan Domansky, Leopold Martinovic and Jindrich Krepel.

Thanks

I don't know the answer but perhaps it was as simple as he wanted to be buried there.

His HQ was in Carlisle and Annan was in his area of responsibility, perhaps he liked the area.

Malcolm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmorrison View Post
    Mojmir - No apology needed. Thank your for your interest.

You and Col might be interested in this https://fcafa.com/2016/09/25/311-sqn...omber-command/

"Unfortunately crew 31, together with their instructor, F/O DOSTÁL František, were to perish when Wellington HE496 ‘33’ caught fire after an unexplained explosion and spun into the sea in the Solway Firth off Silloth, on the 24th of April 1943. The aircraft had taken off at 1610 hours for a practice bombing sortie over the range some 8 miles from the base. At 1630 hours it plunged into the sea remaining afloat for only a few minutes. (DOSTÁL’s body was washed up near the RAF range at West Preston on the 21st of June)."

Other members of the crew are remembered on the Runnymede Memorial - Jan Domansky, Leopold Martinovic and Jindrich Krepel.
    Ken,

Yes, most interesting. Thanks also for the corrections.

Col.