Thread: 100 Squadron Lancaster 111 PB172 HW-W

Thanks

Default 100 Squadron Lancaster 111 PB172 HW-W

Hello to all.

I have just this minute signed on the dotted line and am very much hoping that the wealth of information available here will help me in my quest to find out everything I can about my uncle, Sergeant Kenneth Nottage, Wireless Operator, who flew with 100 Squadron in 1944.
    Sadly he was killed on the night of 28th July 1944 on a Stuttgart raid. The Lancaster was PB172 HW-W.

My aunt, his sister, is still alive and well at the age of 91 and it is for her as much as me that I am working on the task.

I have some original paperwork from the day, addressed to the family, regarding his death which includes CWGC papers and photos of the original grave markers, letter from The King and Red Cross.
    I do not have anything else at present, although I do hope to find more gems hidden in my aunt's loft.
    I have a copy of his service records and have downloaded the 100 Squadron files from the National Archive detailing the raids carried out during July 1944.

My aunt tells me that one of the crew members survived and was a POW. Subsequently visiting her parents after the war he reported that my uncle was shot by nightnfighters whilst parachuting.

That is all I know.

I would be really appreciative of any help, support and guidance towards finding out more.

Thank you.

Barry

Thanks

Hi Barry,
    Welcome. From Bill Chorley’s Bomber Command losses, PB172 was hit by flak at 01.55 near the town of Durmersheim. The crew was.
    F/O H H R Reid RCAF +
    Sgt D Judson+
    F/O W J Smith RCAF+
    F/S W A MacDonald RCAF POW
    Sgt K E Nottage +
    F/S S L Krawchuk RCAF+
    F/S C W Martens RCAF+

I’ll try and confirm the flak claim and if the unit.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi Barry,

I have heard from Theo Boiten who wrote Nachtjagd War Diaries who has from his second edition of his book this claim.

Hptm Heinz-Horst Hissbach of 5./NJG2 who claimed a Halifax 40 west of Stuttgart at 01.58 for his 24th victory. Theo has it as probably 100 Sqn Lancaster PB172.

Hptm Hissbach did not survive the war he was killed in action on 14/15 April 1945 near Geinhausen by. American ack-ack during a ground strafing sortie. His score was 26 night victories and 4 day victories.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Barry,

Apparently, Lancaster PB172 and Lancaster ME778 (No. 106 Sqn) were both "shot down" at the same time (0155 hrs) over Durmersheim. No evidence of a collision. All 13 killed were buried in various cemeteries. Your uncle was identified by the "Sparks" brevet.

I'm not sure how the survivor from your uncle's aircraft could say he was shot by nightfighters. F/Sgt William Archibald MacDonald of Walton, Nova Scotia, stated in his post liberation debrief that he (MacDonald) was "first out of the aircraft" and later says he has no knowledge as to what happened to the rest of the crew.

As there was an RAAF member aboard ME778 you may wish to read the Missing Research Enquiry Service report which pertains to both aircraft. The A705 has been digitized: https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=1076754 (pages 11 through 32)

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Barry,

As per Dave's post above, Flt/Sgt MacDonald was first out of the aircraft (indeed the only one, as per the MRES report in the link above) so I'm slightly dubious as to the exactitude of his comments to your Aunt.

Your Uncle was posted onto 100 Squadron ex-11 Base on the 25th of May 1944. He flew his first operation on the night of the 10th/11th of June 1944, against the railway marshaling yards at Acheres. He was on his 16th operation when he was shot down.

I note you have the 100 Squadron ORB for July Barry, but if you want me to send you the pages for June, as well as the page detailing his posting-in to 100, drop me a PM with your email address.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Thank you to all for your replies.

I have always been dubious of my aunt's account.
    My internet research has also revealed a war crime trial in Canada where F/S Martens had been shot in cold blood having successfully baled out and subsequently captured. So that conflicts with some of what Dave has stated.
    Here is the link. I've downloaded a big file on the trial and will read it and report back.

https://archive.org/stream/CanadianW...18_02_djvu.txt

I think that F/S MacDonald may have given evidence at that trial. I'm still investigating that.

I wonder whether that account of events is what my aunt may have muddled up with her brothers death.
    When I have all the information that I can possibly find I will visit her and tell her what I know. It may jog her memory.

Was it a common event whereby parachuting airmen were gunned down by German aircraft at night time?

Next week I'm visiting the 100 Squadron memorial and will place there a small bouquet in memory of all those brave boys.

Thanks again for your input. It's really very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Barry,
    My name is Julien, I'm from Karlsruhe, GERMANY
    As an officer in the German army, I'm naturally interested in history - especially in what happened around my hometown.

In 2011, I found a piece of metal during a research trip in the zone of the so-called "Westwall", maybe known to you as "Siegfried-line"
    Five years after, I discovered that it is in fact a piece of #PB172.
    Still interested in the destiny of the crew, I found this thread, two days ago. And I learned more about the crew members thanks to an excellent article on aircrewremembered.com.

I would highly appreciate if we could get in contact for further exchange.
    So if you want, just send me a mail.

Regards, and greetings from Germany,

Julien

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Backstein View Post
    Hello Barry,
    My name is Julien, I'm from Karlsruhe, GERMANY
    As an officer in the German army, I'm naturally interested in history - especially in what happened around my hometown.

In 2011, I found a piece of metal during a research trip in the zone of the so-called "Westwall", maybe known to you as "Siegfried-line"
    Five years after, I discovered that it is in fact a piece of #PB172.
    Still interested in the destiny of the crew, I found this thread, two days ago. And I learned more about the crew members thanks to an excellent article on aircrewremembered.com.

I would highly appreciate if we could get in contact for further exchange.
    So if you want, just send me a mail.

Regards, and greetings from Germany,

Julien
    Hello Julien
    I am most interested in what you have posted.
    I have sent a PM.
    Please reply to me when you're able to
    Barry