Thread: L1700 Hurricane I, 55 OTU, Dived into ground, Saul. 02.01.41.

Thanks

Default L1700 Hurricane I, 55 OTU, Dived into ground, Saul. 02.01.41.

I'm researching the eventual fate of Hurricane L1700, as Tangmere Military Aviation Museum has the Form 700 for it, but only up to March 1940, whilst on active service.

There seems a date anomaly with the grave of 902317 Sgt. Thomas Desmond Vernon was a member of 55 O.T.U. Aston Down and was killed when his plane, a Hurricane, nose-dived into a farm at Saul. The date of the loss is almost a week after the recorded death of the pilot. 28/12/1940 for the pilot and 2/01/1941 for the airframe.

Unlikely there were identical incidents, is the discrepancy due to paperwork delays a possibility?

Thanks

AB Serials records the date of the crash as 28th December (Altho the incident is not in the crash list published in Aeromilitaria magazine). Wings over Gloucestershire also has the earlier date. 2nd Jan is possibly the write off date for the airframe. As you say 'the paperwork catching up'.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

I can vouch for that. I have seen many a Form 78 with the write off date after the accident. One in particular, where the pilot had been killed on impact, so we knew the date of death, we thought may have been flying a different aircraft, that was until we found the serial number stencilled on a piece of wreckage.

Thanks

Thanks chaps, I thought that the most likely outcome.