Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No 16 Squadron Mustang paint markings

Thanks

Default No 16 Squadron Mustang paint markings

Looking through Fl/Lt David Greville-Heygate's log books he writes.... 'my personal aircraft AM226 K for King shining Sky Blue and grey"
    On the website at the markings seem to indicate a light blue and BROWN camouflage.(http://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn%...qnMark016B.htm)
    Could AM226 have had a different paint scheme in March 1943?
    I know later No 16 Squad Spitfires were all blue

Thanks

Hi

The colour scheme of the 16 Sqn Mustang on my website is the standard Green/Grey day fighter scheme, not sure where you saw the light blue/brown scheme?

Malcolm

Thanks

David Gh wrote in his log book on March 20th 1943...Totting up my Mustang to date, they come to 155 hrs 10 mins and my personal Mustang AM226 ‘K for King,’ shining sky blue and grey is the precious and jealously guarded treasure of A/C Jacques, my rigger..
    They were returning from Ford to Andover at completion of Exercise Spartan one of the biggest Army/Air Force exercises ever held in England to test the Airfield System, in which three squadrons were grouped together as a Wing was to be tried out, and the exercise area was divided into two opposing countries, ‘Southland’ and ‘Eastland’ with ‘Westland’ as a Neutral country. Ten Army divisions and an Air Force were allotted to each side.
    Could it be possible that one "country" was painted blue/grey for this exercise?

Thanks

I have never seen any reference for aircraft being repainted for Spartan but recognition markings applied with distemper.
    Mustang Is were delivered in green-brown TLS scheme, and I think repainted into DFS only after they became part of the 2 TAF, but this might be no rule. Perhaps he was meaning a freshly applied DFS? Also, I recall reading, that reconnaissance aircraft could have been painted in non regular schemes, Is there a photo of the aircraft?
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

There was an official warning that aircraft of the PRU could be painted in non-regular schemes, but not normally FR aircraft in conventional squadrons.

Thanks

The Green/Dark Earth scheme (TLS) began to be replaced by the Green/Grey scheme (DFS) from around April 1941 as Fighter Command went on the offensive, the new scheme being intended to give better camouflage over the sea. Perhaps the aircraft in question was repainted in this scheme as a local experiment?

Malcolm

Thanks

The replacement of TLS with DFS in FC was August 1941 excluding prior experiments. Army Co-operation Command had different rules, however, and the date does not apply, unless a Command order issued at the same time.
    Aside, DFS had to hide aircraft in the air, otherwise TSS would have been used.
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Hi Franek

Sorry you are correct.

Malcolm

Thanks

Could the "shining Sky Blue and grey" be a reference to a new coat of undersides grey and a sky-blue touch up paint of the code letters?

This IPMS website: http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/cam...ustang-part-2/ - seems to indicate the 16 Sqn code letters were in sky-blue, with the DFS(?) green-grey topsides being in use in November 1942.

...geoff

Thanks

Sky Blue and Sky are two different colours, the former being bluer and lighter, the latter somewhat greener. In RAF parlance Sky was duck-egg blue (or sometimes, perhaps more accurately) duck-egg green). Sky Blue was used for codes, incorrectly, for a while in late 1940, but that's too early for Mustangs. The article only refers to Sky.