Thread: 32098 (?) Flt Lt William John Howard EKINS

Thanks

Default 32098 (?) Flt Lt William John Howard EKINS

Hoping forumites can help with a few queries I have on this pilot, please.

He is believed to have been born in Salisbury, Wilts, in the March or June Qte 1912, but I cannot establish the exact date. Ekins joined the RAF on a Short Service Commission in 1931 and completed his training at 3 FTS. He subsequently served in 41 Sqn (1932-33), 14 Sqn (1933-36), and 45 Sqn (1936-38). As a Flt Lt, he transferred to the Reserve Class A in October 1938, then relinquished his commission on appointment to the Indian Army.

He served 3 Motor Ambulance Unit, RIASC, in India, from ca Oct 39 and was given sick leave and repatriated to the UK as an Actg Capt in ca Jul 40. He died at home, in Sunbury-on-Thames, London on 28 Mar 41, aged 28, but the circumstances are unknown. Rather than a grave, however, he is remembered on Panel 25, Col 3, of the Brookwood 1939-1945 Memorial, Woking, Surrey.

Does anyone have access to a database that might indicate an exact birth date, please, and further, does anyone know where/how I can find out about the circumstances of his illness and subsequent death?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve

I am sure I emailed you about him because of a query on his name

He died at home from a illness I know that I think there is a mention on British newspaper archives

Paul

Thanks

Steve,

m. Marriages Q2 1906 Ekins William Hubert m Nellie Newton Lewisham 1d 2031

William John Howerd Ekins/W John Howard Ekins
    b. Q2 1912 MMS Newton Salisbury 5A 321
    1930 No. 14 (B) Squadron R.A.F., Amman, Transjordan Elect Eng Special Trainee
    9 Apr 1933 Prom Plt Off > Fg Off.
    29 Aug 1935 William J H Ekins, Male, 23, Birth year 1912, Occupation R A F, Dep port London, Dest port Port Said Egypt, Ship Barrabool.
    9 Apr 1936 Prom Fg Off > Flt Lt
    11 Sep 1936 Passed Prom B Exam.
    9 Dec 1936 Posted 45 Sqn Helwan
    9 Oct 1938 Transferred to Reserve Class A as Flt Lt
    5 Nov 1938 Cmd 2 Lt Indian Army from RAFO A List
    30 Nov 1938 Prom Lt (Sen from 5 Feb 1934)
    5 Nov 1939 Indian Army Lt. W. J. H. Ekins to be Capt.
    d. 28 Mar 1941 Staines 3a 31
    6 May 1941 The Times reports his death as Capt W J H Ekins, RIASC

He had a brother:- Births Dec 1913 Ekins Harold R Newton Salisbury 5a 294

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Steve

He is mentioned in the British newspaper archives in 1933, when he was the pilot of a Fairey Gordon of 14 Sqn which crashed near Zerka, Transjordan, on April 28th 1933. Ekins was uninjured, but 365528 L.A.C. Reginald George Wilmott was reported missing, believed killed, and P/O Jack Bradley escaped by parachute.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

I think he has a probate record as well

Thanks

I note that GRO (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) are trialling an on-line .pdf version of some BMD Certs. I didn’t know that. These cannot be used as an ‘Official Document’, but will contain much of the data we are normally after. The BC will contain Date and Place (as opposed to Reg Dist). The DC will contain Date, Place(precise – as opposed the Reg Dist), and Cause – of Death. The DC also contains The Informant. This latter is often vital if/when chasing up people/places/items post-Death. These are currently 6GBP per doc. Don't know about payment system from outside UK - should not be too difficult?
    Apologies if this was already widely known!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks gents

Hi Paul, yes, quite right. I'm just to go through my pilots one-by-one, to try to clear up my remaining open questions on them.

Thanks Simon; I have that info, thanks. It's really just my queries at the top that I'm trying to clarify.

Thanks Peter; I appreciate the additional pieces of information. I was not aware of the GRO cert online availability. I shouldn't imagine that credit card payment from outside the UK would pose any issues, but it's still 6, which is approximately double that in $AUD. As much as one is affordable, the number I need for my inter-wars 41 Sqn pilots would do some serious damage on the back pocket. Still, I'll keep it in mind for future reference, as it may become my only option. Thanks for the heads-up.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm