Thread: Queen's Commendation research help

Thanks

Default Queen's Commendation research help

Hello all,
    New to this site. i appreciate there may be nothing out there, but any suggestion or information would be greatly appreciated. I am researching a Flight Lieutenant Malcolm John Innis Carr, number [FONT=arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][COLOR=#545454]3517668. I can trace the promotions in the London Gazette and the award of the Queen's Commendation for valuable service, gazetted 5987 12 June 1971.

Is there a way i can research the service career further than the London Gazette?

Is it possible to research where/what the Queen's Commendation is awarded for?
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    I have a Campaign Service Medal clasp Northern Ireland and a General Service Medal awarded to Flight Lieutenant Carr which has no clasp(s) attached, both are named as FLT. LT. M.J.I. CARR, is it possible to ascertain which clasp(s) is missing? (attains the rank Flight Lieutenant in 1961 which narrows down the clasps it could be).

Once again any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Adam

Thanks

Born 28 April 1936 and commissioned21 April 1954. promoted Flight Lieutenant 13 April 1960 and retired 1 January 1976.

A General Service Medal is always awarded with a clasp and since the Campaign Service Medal was instituted at the beginning of 1963, the General Service Medal must have been awarded for a campaign between 1960 and 1962. This suggests possibly BRUNEI. Carr was still alive in 2006.

I'm sorry but that's the best I can do. You could put an advert in the newspaper RAF News, seeking contact/information.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated. It is a shame I wont be able to 100% know which clasp is missing to have the medal repaired, hopefully one day the medal rolls will be released. Also hopefully I will be able to establish in the future which medal ribbon the commendation goes on, or if it was worn separately. It does not look like anything has ever been attached to the Northern Ireland medals rim, but you never know!
    Regards
    Adam

Thanks

Default M J I Carr

Quote Originally Posted by adam1981 View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated. It is a shame I wont be able to 100% know which clasp is missing to have the medal repaired, hopefully one day the medal rolls will be released. Also hopefully I will be able to establish in the future which medal ribbon the commendation goes on, or if it was worn separately. It does not look like anything has ever been attached to the Northern Ireland medals rim, but you never know!
    Regards
    Adam
    I have come upon this thread/forum purely by chance and am the person referred to in it. The medals were sold some time ago with all the clasps on the GSM as far as I can recall.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rotorman For This Useful Post:

Jagan (9th November 2018)