Thread: 32225 Edward Philip Patrick GIBBS DFC, 1942-1946

Thanks

Default 32225 Edward Philip Patrick GIBBS DFC, 1942-1946

I have a significant amount of information on this pilot, including a copy of his logbook at the RAF Museum, but it only goes up to February 1943. After that, I am struggling to put together many of his WWII postings, and am hoping others may be able to help with the relevant ORBs, etc.

• First of all, however, in know he was born in 1911, but cannot establish an exact date or place
    • Gibbs was Wg Cdr Flg, RAF Middle Wallop, 16 Jul-13 Oct 42, and then undertook a tour of USA, 13 Oct-1 Dec 42 - does anyone know why?
    • He was attached to ECFS Hullavington, ca Sep 43-ca Jan 44 - exact dates?
    • He was Stn Cdr, RAF Kenley, 1 Feb-ca Sep 44 - exact date?
    • He was Stn Cdr, RAF Woodvale, ca Sep 44-ca Sep 45 - exact dates?
    • He was posted to Germany between Sep and Nov 1945 - does anyone know the exact dates and to which unit?
    • He was HQ, 2 Grp, BAFO, Germany, ca Nov 45-ca Feb 46 - does anyone know the exact dates?

Any assistance on the above queries would be appreciated

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello Steve,

Have you checked "Those other eagles" ? And this board's archives ? He was discussed here. I'm interested in this pilot as he came down here on 9th July 1941 and evaded capture.

Joss

Thanks

It is many years since I read his autobiography IT'S FURTHER VIA GIBRALTAR by Patrick Gibbs (Faber and Faber 1961) and I cannot remember if he gave much detail about his later RAF service,he was the 'Mustachioed aerobatic king of Tangmere' who apparently upstaged DB at upward Rolls.

To quote myself from that thread on Key some years ago

Gibbo was 'A' flt commander on 616 and then promoted S/Ldr but remained with 616 to gain combat experience prior to getting his own sqdn.
    Gibbo describes being hit in the glycol tank and vertically rolling down at high speed to low level and then being attacked again and the engine stopping,he then rolled inverted and flew inverted almost to the ground where he rolled upright and landed.He set fire to his Spitfire and made off.
    He was very lucky with his initial contacts and was conducted at various stages by 'Marie' , Jacqueline Daudet and Simone Deveraux via Paris and Perpignan towards the Spanish border,he was arrested at Banyuls near the border but managed to escape a few weeks later and came home via Gib.
    Three months after being shot down he was back on ops over france as a sqdn commander , I thought that might be fairly unusual for an escapee but then again the French Prison Governor had put him in the official record as Captain Gibbs,Royal artillery because he thought the Germans would take less notice of an army captain than a fighter pilot !!
    There is a photo of Gibbs in Dilip Sarkar's ... Baders Tangmere Spitfires

Thanks

On the 1939 Register he resides at The Corner House, Wistley Green and married to Marjorie K M Gibbs. He gives his DOB as 21 Feb 1910. Occupation: Civil Flying Instructor, No 8 EFTS Woodley Aerodrome.

Thanks

Thanks Gents, yes, I have checked my copy of Those Other Eagles already, checked online sources, and have copies of his Escape and Evasion Report and the logbook deposited with the RAF Museum. It is only the above queries that I am trying to resolve.

I did miss the 1939 Register, though, so thank you Flakdodger for providing me an accurate DOB! Still can't find a location, though :-( (and nationality).

Thanks, too, bvs, for the heads-up on his autobiography. I wasn't aware of it.

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm