Thread: Luftwaffe Radars on the Brest Peninsular

Thanks

Default Luftwaffe Radars on the Brest Peninsular

Hello All,
    Does anyone know (or knows who does know) where the Luftwaffe radars were located on the Brest Peninsular during WW2?
    Ditto their range/power (give or take anaprop, ducting, etc,) and their effective ‘horizon height’ north and west.
    I looked on the internet, but the pages of Peruvian ‘nose-flute music’ required to do the calculations oneself is, I regret to say, beyond my mathematical level!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello Peter,
    Any particular date?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,

Tks yrs.
    Specifically, 19 Dec 1942. But my investigation(s) cover the whole of WW2. The only change over that time would have been the efficiency of the radars in terms, both, of technicalities and operational practices. (One has to assume, for sake of argument, that the curvature of the earth did not change during WW2 to such an extent as to affect the 'nose flute music' in my earlier!!).
    What I'm actually after is to get some sort of 'handle' on the Luftwaffe's radar capabilities over the UK's SW Peninsular (and the Bay of Biscay). One has to ally this to any SIGINT that they (the Luftwaffe) may have obtained from other non-radar sources.
    19 Dec 42 was the 'disappearance' of Harrow K7011 en route to Malta. But there were a number of other WW2 aviation 'incident's' in which 'comings together'(or not) of Allied/Luftwaffe a/c in the area may have been influenced by Luftwaffe(and pseudo Ally) radars.
    I'm about to re-'fly' that 19 Dec 42 flight. Need detail to do the Flight Plan!
    Tks yr interest
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,
    Please drop a message to me at gildassaouAThotmail.com, replacing AT by @ of course.
    I can locate several German radars in Brest area thanks to some maps that were found in a house. These maps were made on tracing paper and recorded quite a number of flights, probably mostly German planes, but at least two allied for me, but only during November 1941, so quite before December 1942. Two friends who do understand radars and their technology already studied them and this took them quite a long time.
    I also can share, if this is of interest to you, picture of the grave of one passenger on board this Harrow, Lt Hawkins, because I live in the village where his body was recovered on the coast. Also have recorded the town hall death register.
    My friend Claude Hélias had been I touch with a relative of him and provided one picture. I know she already came and paid her respect here, but we were not in touch.
    Hope this helps
    Gildas