Thread: Pilot-Officer Harry Curry D.S.M. - is that correct?

Thanks

Default Pilot-Officer Harry Curry D.S.M. - is that correct?

Hello everyone

The Newcastle Journal of Wednesday May 17th 1944 reported a list of men from various branches of the armed services who had recently attended an investiture at the Palace to receive their medals. At the end of the article is the following snippet:

'Pilot-Officer Harry Curry, of Jubilee Road, Eston, Middlesbrough, received the D.S.M.'

So, is this correct? Obviously I've no idea when his award was gazetted. I'm also wondering if it was indeed a D.S.M., or possibly a typo and it should be D.F.M.? Isn't a D.S.M. for service at sea?

I've had a look through the newspaper archive, and couldn't find an earlier reference to this award. I have come across F/Lt. Hugh Curry from Darlington, awarded the D.F.C. on April 21st 1944, but his details don't seem to match. The London Gazette doesn't seem to have anything either.

So, a long shot, but can anyone help...?

Many thanks,

Simon

Thanks

I believe that 23 RAF men were awarded the DSM - possibly at least partly Air Sea Rescue related ?

A quick search found this Officer - sorry only partially answers your question but yes it seems at least possible for Curry.

15th Feb. 1944 - Plt Officer G. ROWLANDS, D.S.M. (53105)

Thanks

Simon,

I suspect that the newspaper got it wrong! There was a Petty Officer Harry Curry awarded the DSM in London Gazette 6 July 1943, page 3056. Petty Officer/Pilot Officer - easy mistake. I have a roll of the DSMs to RAF personnel - there was no Curry.

Jim

Thanks

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I'd thought perhaps the report wasn't 100% accurate, and Jim's info seems to have nailed it. I reckon it may have been suplied to the newspaper's copy writer as P/O Harry Curry, hence the error.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 5th April 2018 at 10:01.

Thanks

I've had a quick look at Maton and neither Curry nor Rowlands appear in his "Honour the Air Forces"

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to look him up Coiln, much appreciated.

Regards

Simon