Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 Discovery of Airman's body on Hatfield Moor

Thanks

Default 1987 Discovery of Airman's body on Hatfield Moor

In the summer of 1987 an airman's body was found in a peat bog on Hatfield Moor, quite close to RAF Finningley and RAF Lindholme. There were no dogtags or other means of identification so it was buried with a "Known to God" headstone in the parish churchyard at Finningley. I believe it was not buried for quite a while after being discovered. Cam anyone please tell me exactly when the burial took place and was it done with full military honours?

Thanks

Thanks

Hello,
    From Krzystka's well known Website.

http://listakrzystka.pl/en/?p=31640

Alex

Thanks

Found this comment on our site onthis page http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/20298.php

Emma Barnes Director at Emma Barnes Mortgages Ltd
    Hello,
    I am trying to find information on the Unknown Airman in Finningley, South Yorkshire. Is this the Airman found on Hatfield Peat moors in 1987 or was this gentleman buried earlier?
    All info gratefully received.

Emma

Like Reply 3d

Thanks

Thanks Jagan,

I am in touch with Emma Barnes and we are working together to sort the myth from the reality. This story has been so tied up with the Lindholme Willie ghost story that it has become badly distorted in the telling but we are gradually separating the truth from the BS

Thanks

If there is an actual grave in the Finningley churchyard surely a simple enquiry to CWGC would establish the date and place when the remains were found etc ?

Thanks

Thank you PeteS,

I have now found the information but, since the airman is Polish, there was little hope of getting the information from CWGC because, even though they keep the graves beautifully, their record keeping for non Commonwealth graves is a shambles. Even the books they produced listing the bodies in each graveyard give some details of each one then a footnote something like "there are also 3 Polish graves"

Thanks

If there is a reasonable belief that there are Polish graves incorrectly recorded, I suggest contacting the The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London:

http://www.pism.co.uk/

.. but perhaps you have already done this?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Thank you Bruce,

I don't think they are incorrectly recorded. I just think that there is less detail recorded or it is just harder to find. The grave I am trying to identify is nicely presented and well cared for but the body is unidentified and as it does not fit under "Commonwealth" I think less effort has been made to record any details. I believe I have narrowed it down to half a dozen possibles and I am just trying to find out maximum detail of when he was found, where and any other clues I can find. I am currently waiting on Police information under the Freedom of Information laws.

Thanks

Did the FOI request yield any information from the Police ?