Thread: 114000 Wg Cdr Ralph Edward 'Tich' HAVERCROFT

Thanks

Default 114000 Wg Cdr Ralph Edward 'Tich' HAVERCROFT

Having entered the RAFVR as an airman u/t pilot in April 1937, Havercroft was commissioned in November 1941.

• He served with the Performance Testing Sqn, AAEE, Boscombe Down, between Jan and Aug 1945, and as a Test Plt with the British Air Commission at Wright Field, Dayton, Ohio, Sep-Dec 45, but can anyone identify the exact dates, please?
    • He then served as a Flying Instructor with the Empire Test Pilots School, Cranfield & Farnborough, from Jan 1946 to sometime in 1949, but I am seeking the exact dates
    • He was OC, Admin Wing, Khormaksar, Aden, from 1949 to 1951, but I am seeking the exact dates
    • He was OC, Handling Sqn, Manby, 1951 to Sep 1952, but I am seeking the exact dates
    • He was OC B Flt, Telecommunications Flying Unit, Defford, Sep 1952 to Sep 1955, but I am seeking the exact dates

Any assistance with the above dates would be appreciated, thanks

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Don't know if this is any help but my husband LH. Tolchard was an instructor at Empire Test Pilot School and there is an old list of Graduates of EPTS Post Course Occupations. In No 2 Course 1944 it mentions S/L RE Havercroft. Permanent Commission. After Test Flying at A & A.E.E became Chief Test Pilot ,British Supply & Air Commission. , Wright Field. Dayton , Ohio. On return To England in June 1946, was posted to ETPS as Tutor Flying.
    Thought I would mention it .
    Regards
    Mag T.

Thanks

Thanks Mag, I appreciate you posting this as it has provided a few additional details.

Kind regards
    Steve

Thanks

Steve,

I notice you have no biographical details for "Tich" Havercroft in Vols.1 or 2 of your 41 Sqn History. I'm not sure if the following is of any interest, but I'll give you the details anyway.

I Remember... Subject: Supermarine Spitfire By: Wing Commander Ralph Havercroft (Series compiled by Michael A Fopp) - Wing Commander Ralph 'Titch' Havercroft remembers his first flight in a Spitfire.
    FlyPast. March,1982 (No.8) pp.28-32.

The article is much more than account of Havercroft's first flight in a Spitfire (with No.41 Sqn incidentally), it is an account of his career from enlistment to retirement. No much on dates, but the main appointments are mentioned.
    No scanner Mate! But I can send off a copy (snail mail), if required (I'll need an address, I'm Postcode 3127, so no probs).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 8th April 2018 at 04:03.

Thanks

Hi Col, quite right, as Tich Havercroft was on 41 Sqn from 1 May to 10 July 1939, which period pre-dates them.

I'm currently working on an inter-wars volume, which is what is generating my current line of questions.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Flypast article, but I have no access to back-copies, so yes please, I would appreciate a copy and have e-mailed you my address.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 8th April 2018 at 05:23.

Thanks

Steve,

I'll pop it in the post during the week.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks Col; no urgency.