Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairey Battle K9328 Crash 11th August 1939 Crew Update

Thanks

Default Fairey Battle K9328 Crash 11th August 1939 Crew Update

Fairey Battle K9328 of 218 Squadron based at Boscombe Down in Wiltshire when it crashed 11th August 1939

From AB-IX Enquiry (full crew details and service numbers)

Pilot, 21 year old Australian Flying Officer William Kinane #39466 aged 21
    Observer, Sgt. Peter Aitken Allan #511195 aged 28, were killed instantly. *

The third member of the crew, wireless operator Aircraftman 1st Class Ivor Roberts #536207 (aged 21) died in hospital 13.8.39

* Allan is sometimes said to be Allen but his Air 78 file says Allan

His death is registered as Allen and I can't find a birth (he was from Farnborough in Kent) he is buried there as "Peter Kitchen Allen",

https://www.farnborough-kent-parish....rds%20V196.pdf

It lists a Peter Kitchen Allen, aged 28, buried on 16 August 1939. in grave no. 2018. Probably transcription errors from handwritten notes in register

Thanks

Confirmed Name ALLAN

He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1911 (that's why couldn't find him on FreeBmd)

ALLAN

PETER AITKEN

M

685/5 413

Newington

He had a marriage (as Allen) in 1936 and a daughter born in 1938 - Both registered as Bromley

Thanks

Hello Paul, thanks for posting the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post

His death is registered as Allen and I can't find a birth (he was from Farnborough in Kent) he is buried there as "Peter Kitchen Allen",

https://www.farnborough-kent-parish....rds%20V196.pdf

It lists a Peter Kitchen Allen, aged 28, buried on 16 August 1939. in grave no. 2018. Probably transcription errors from handwritten notes in register

I wanted to confirm the transcription error - I have an image of the entry for Peter Aitken Allan from the St Giles parish office - it definitely says 'Aitken' not 'Kitchen'.

I have been told that there was another Australian Pilot flying along side Kinane, Allan & Roberts who witnessed the crash, survived the war, and has written his memoirs for his family in Perth WA.. The name was thought to be Herring and was a Sqdn leader.

Peter Aitken Allan was my great grandfather and I am still on the hunt to find out anything I can about his time in service.

Thanks

Hi,

I researched this crash about 20 years ago, I have a few news paper cuttings from the time and a photo (rather poor) of Kinane.

Happy to help if I can find the file.

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Hi,

I researched this crash about 20 years ago, I have a few news paper cuttings from the time and a photo (rather poor) of Kinane.

Happy to help if I can find the file.

Steve
    Hi Steve, that would be brilliant if you are happy to share! Thank you. I will send you a pm with my email address.

Edit to say, it seems my messaging is turned off and I can't find how to turn it on.
    Last edited by Shelley262919; 31st March 2018 at 09:46.

Thanks

Please visit my web site 218squadron.wordpress.com and contact me via there.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley262919 View Post
    Hello Paul, thanks for posting the updates.

I wanted to confirm the transcription error - I have an image of the entry for Peter Aitken Allan from the St Giles parish office - it definitely says 'Aitken' not 'Kitchen'.

I have been told that there was another Australian Pilot flying along side Kinane, Allan & Roberts who witnessed the crash, survived the war, and has written his memoirs for his family in Perth WA.. The name was thought to be Herring and was a Sqdn leader.

Peter Aitken Allan was my great grandfather and I am still on the hunt to find out anything I can about his time in service.
    Hello Shelley,

I noticed your mention of an Australian pilot flying alongside William Kinane on 11 August, 1939. Would you have any further information on this "Australian pilot"? I'm not familiar with any pre-war Australian pilot with the name "Herring". Steve, any comments you would care to add would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Col Bruggy.

Thanks

Hi Col,
    I can confirm that there was a F/Sgt Herring on the squadron at the time, sadly however he is only mentioned fleetingly. Regarding his nationality sadly I cannot confirm, the ORB entries for NCO movements is almost non existent. On the day of the operation Kinane was flying with Pilot Officer Max Freeman to my knowledge, Freeman gave a detailed report on the tragedy. I have some details on Kinane plus a poor photograph from a local newspaper. I also have a copy of Sgt Butt, Herring's navigators log book.

Regards

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 14th April 2018 at 08:45.

Thanks

There was a Sgt Herring with the Battle Sqns in France he was injured before May 1940

Thanks

Paul,

Away from my files, any details ?

Regards

Steve