Thread: Sgt Edward Ashton Waters, RNZAF, NZ405531 - looking for more info

Thanks

Default Sgt Edward Ashton Waters, RNZAF, NZ405531 - looking for more info

Hello all,

Been ages since my last post but it is good to see the RAFCommands community thriving!

I'm doing some research into the career of Sgt Edward Ashton Waters on behalf of a NZ born friend of mine who found out only last year that next to an uncle she had also had a second cousin who was KIA when flying for the RAF.

Edward and his crewmates were lost on 23.11.1942 when their 44 Sqn Lancaster I, W4304, KM-C, failed to return from a raid on Stuttgart. They are all commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

We only had his name to start off with so first step was the CWGC website which gave us his rank and service number as well as his date of death. The 44 Sqn ORB obtained from the NA then gave us info on their last mission and we in meantime also obtained Edward's service file from the NZDF. From this we learned Edward was a Wop/Ag.

In this service file there is a copy of a Flying Battle Casualty document detailing the crew of Lancaster W4304 and confirming Sgt Waters as Wop/AG.

Am I correct in assuming that in a Lancaster his sole duty would have been to act as wireless operator and not doubling as an AG as in a Blenheim for example?

Also, in that crew list the two air gunners are indicated as ACH/AG - would anyone have an idea what the "ACH" stands for?

Until now my contact has been unable to find any photos whatsoever of Edward (one of those sad stories of families breaking up over estate issues...) so any lead to 44 Sqn crew photos would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any info given.

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks

Walter,

ACH = Aircrafthand.

A small photo of Edward appears on page 19 of The Weekly News, a New Zealand paper, dated 27 Jan 43.

The Air Force Museum of New Zealand holds a copy of the paper and can supply a scan of the image. You can contact them at info@airforcemuseum.co.nz

Errol

Thanks

Thank you very much Errol! Will contact the Air Force Museum of NZ as you suggested.

Cheers,

Walter

Thanks

Walter,

It might also be worth your asking the Museum if they might have a group photo of him taken when he was on his air gunners' course at Levin in Dec 1940-Jan 1941.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks again Errol, will do that.

Cheers,
    Walter