Thread: The Bar None Motorcycle Club, Nth. Africa 1944

Thanks

Default The Bar None Motorcycle Club, Nth. Africa 1944

The Bar None MC club was apparently founded in Egypt in 1944 by Sgt. Geoff Steers and LAC Alan Johnson. I have a press clipping of 4/11/1945 speaking of my father's (Bert Houlding Jnr) involvement. My Dad died in 1982 and never mentioned it. I am very keen to get more information about the club, and have had contact with S Warner of matchlesswd.co.uk, but would appreciate any further information about the club, its administration and its activities. Photo's would be particularly welcome.

Thanks

Hello Mike,
    Help us out a bit here. Does this club have anything to do with RAF or associated forces?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

This covers two of my favourite things - motorcycles and military research. The BNMCC (note two "C"s at the end) was indeed founded in Egypt in 1944, and although it disbanded over 40 years ago, there is a website dedicated to it: -

http://www.bar-nonemcc.co.uk/index.php/about-us

Not much on there at the moment as their original site was hacked, but I'm sure the OP would be interested in contacting the folks who run the site as they may have details of his Father.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

[QUOTE=bruce dennis;133567]Hello Mike,
    Help us out a bit here. Does this club have anything to do with RAF or associated forces?

[
    Bruce, for sure. The club was formed in 1944, probably in an attempt to provide distraction therapy for underemployed young servicemen. My Dad was involved as an LAC in 252 Squadron. A Google search shows a few photo's of MB rallies and races, and i would imagine inter-service and perhaps even inter squadron/regiment competition was quite keen
    /QUOTE]

Thanks

If you have the names of the units or bases where the club operated, it is worth remembering that there were several home-grown newspapers/newsletters produced by homesick erks. Sometimes these are in the ORBs but I have been told that there is at least one example at the British Library.
    Or perhaps this has already been researched?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS