Thread: 29141 Gp Capt Peter Warren JOHNSON

Thanks

Default 29141 Gp Capt Peter Warren JOHNSON

This pilot, who was born 13 Nov 1908, was originally a cadet at RN College, Dartmouth, but decided the Navy was not for him and became an accountant before emigrating to Australia to farm. I have no dates on these events, but understand he returned to the UK again in 1929. Can anyone provide any information on this period, please?

He joined the RAF on a SSC in Sep 1930, and transferred to the RAFO as a Flt Lt in Sep 1936. I am unsure when he was mobilised, but understand he spent the early war years as a flying instructor with training command. Can anyone provide any more exact details on this, please?

He was OC 49 Sqn, Apr-Sep 1943, and OC 97 Sqn, Oct 1944-Jun 1945, but cannot locate a posting for the intervening period, Sep 1943-Oct 1944. Can someone fill that gap, please?

I then have no visibility of his postings from after 97 Sqn in Jun 1945, and his appointment (as a civilian, I believe) to the Civil Aviation Branch in Germany in 1953. Does anyone have any information on his postings during this period, please?

Any assistance with the above gaps in my data would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Steve, From Ancestry,
    Peter Warren Johnson, SS Berrima, 8 Dec 27, bound Australia, aged 18, Occ: Nil
    Peter W. Johnson, SS Hobson Bay, Arr Hull, UK 16 Jun 29, Occ: Clerk
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Steve,

Peter Warren Johnson arrived in Sydney aboard the S.S. "Berrima" on 17 January, 1928. Whilst here, it seems he developed quite a thirst!

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81126719

Sorry Mate, couldn't resist it.

You will find an interesting obituary for Johnson in "The Times", 31 March, 1999, p.23.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 6th May 2018 at 09:56.

Thanks

Thanks very much Terry; that's a great help.

Col, that's brilliant, and will no doubt explain why he gave up his plans to farm in Australia and returned to the UK. I didn't think to look in Trove, but what a gem. Probably gave him the scare of his lifetime, but certainly changed the direction of his life.

As an aside, my great grandfather started as a Pilot on Sydney Harbour five days before Johnson arrived (he was replacing his brother-in-law who had been at the helm of the Tahiti in the November 1927 Greycliffe-Tahiti Disaster - and the subject of my first book!). Anyway, it appears he did not pilot Berrima into Sydney Harbour the day Johnson arrived, and although it would not have meant anything to either man at the time, Warren would go on to serve on 41 Sqn, as did my great grandfather's son (my great uncle Bill) approx 5 years after Johnson. Small world sometimes...! :-)

Cheers
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm