Thread: Pilot Off. James Lauder Shiells 143451 DFM

Thanks

Default Pilot Off. James Lauder Shiells 143451 DFM

I'm puzzled by the date of the award of a DFM to this man. The award was announced in the London Gazette in May 1945 - two years after his commissioning and his death.

James Lauder Shiells, Distinguished Flying Medal, Pilot Officer/Pilot (143451) 15 Squadron, Bomber Command, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    James was commissioned from Flight Sergeant (1052462) in March 1943 and was awarded a DFM as “1052462 James Lauder SHIELLS (later Pilot Officer), R.A.F.V.R., 15 Sqn., with effect from 15th April, 1943 (since deceased)”.

His Stirling bomber had taken off from RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk for a raid on Mannheim but the aircraft crashed at St-Erme-Soutre-et-Ramecourt, north of Reims, on 16 April 1943.
    (Source: London Gazette 14/5/1943 p.2203 & 29/5/1945 p.2793 and aircrewremembered.com - as Shields)

Can anyone help, please?

Ken

Thanks

I have just joined the Forum to research the service of my father James Lauder who was a Stirling Bomber pilot at Mildenhall in April 1943 !!

Thanks

Ken, and Ian

Firstly welcome to the Forum Ian.

The citation for the D.F.M. reads as follows:

SHIELLS James Lauder, 1052462 Flight Sergeant, No. 14 Sqn.
    L.G 1/6/1945. Sorties 24, Flying hours 132. Pilot. Air 2/8950
    Flight Sergeant Shiells has completed a large number of operational sorties during which he has consistently disaplay outstanding keenness and devotion to duty. This airman has always set a fine personal example to his fellow Captains.
    17th March, 1943 (Award w.e.f. 15th April 1943)
    Remarks by Station Commander
    A Captain of aircraft who has always shown outstanding keenness and devotion to duty. Strongly recommended for the non-immediate award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

I'm guessing June 1st 1945 is a King's Birthday Honours award?

The Southern Reported newspaper of October 4th 1945 reported the following:

ROYAL VISIT
    Borderers at Holyrood
    A number of Borderers attended an investiture held by the King at the Palace of Holyrood House, Edinburgh.
    Among the next-of-kin of R.A.F. personnel who attended to receive decorations on behalf of deceased relatives were:- Mrs. J Shiells, The Bungalow, Melrose, mother of Pilot Officer James L. Shiells (D.F.M.), and Mrs. D. McMillan, The Terrace, St. Boswells, mother of Sgt. Douglas W. McMillan (D.F.M.).

He had been involved in an encounter with a Ju-88 in February 1943 while flying Stirling BK657 of 15 Squadron.

See: Air/50/182/158 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/D7452019

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 10th March 2020 at 10:14. Reason: typos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lauder View Post
    I have just joined the Forum to research the service of my father James Lauder who was a Stirling Bomber pilot at Mildenhall in April 1943 !!

Ian - just in case you didn't know, James is named on the Kirkmichael Parish War Memorial in Netherfield, Dumfriesshire.

My research notes read:

P/O JAS. L. SHIELLS, D.F.M. R.A.F.V.R.
    James Lauder Shiells, Distinguished Flying Medal – age 31 – Pilot Officer/Pilot (143451)
    15 Squadron, Bomber Command, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.
    James was commissioned from Flight Sergeant (1052462) in March 1943 and was awarded a DFM as “1052462 James Lauder SHIELLS (later Pilot Officer), R.A.F.V.R., 15 Sqn., with effect from 15th April, 1943 (since deceased)”. His Stirling bomber had taken off from RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk for a raid on Mannheim but the aircraft crashed at St-Erme-Soutre-et-Ramecourt, north of Reims.
    (Source: London Gazette 14/5/1943 p.2203 & 29/5/1945 p.2793 and aircrewremembered.com)
    Born 1911 in Annan, Dumfriesshire. (Source: GRoS – Birth Register)
    Son of James Alexander Shiells and Agnes Robson Butler (Lauder) Shiells of The Barony Lodge, Parkgate, Kirkmichael and of The Bungalow, Bemersyde, St. Boswells, Melrose, Roxburghshire.
    (Source: CWGC and D&G Standard 24/4/1943 p.5)
    Husband of “Reta” Margaret Elizabeth (Bradshaw) Shiells (Third Officer W.R.N.S.) of 9 Lauderdale Street, Edinburgh who he married in 1942 in Edinburgh.
    (Source: CWGC, D&G Standard 23/5/1942 p.5 & 24/4/1943 p.5 and GRoS – Marriage Register)
    Killed in Action – 16 April 1943.
    Commonwealth War Grave – St. Erme Communal Cemetery Extension, Aisne, France.

Ken

Simon - many thanks for your information.
    Ken

Thanks

Thankyou for that. They must have known each other surely? I have yet to discover how to start a thread so meanwhile can you help with three items from my fathers service record please?
    After the Air bombing anf gunnery school he went to IRW but I can't find what that was or where.
    Under "Mustering" the word "Elect" is used several times - as is the term "LTI" and "LTI(2)" - what do they mean?
    Under "Special Qualifications" it has Beaufighter Mosquito but only the year 1943 and not where he flew them. Any clues would be much appreciated.
    Ian