Thread: 447972 ACW1 A. Gimlinge, WAAF - looking for more info on injury 1943

Thanks

Default 447972 ACW1 A. Gimlinge, WAAF - looking for more info on injury 1943

According to the Aeroplane, 20 August 1943, ACW1 A. Gimlinge, WAAF, was reported wounded or injured while on active service.

I am trying to locate information on this woman’s service as she was married Danish.

Would it be possible to find further information on such an wound/injury without knowing her unit at the time? Would there be a record kept centrally?

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel, Hi,

Not a lot of help, but I have discovered the following:-

a. Ann Smith, WAAF, marries Kay Gimlinge in Q3 1942 in the Uxbridge civil Registration District (ref Vol 3a Page 433).
    b. Ann Smith is too common a name to hunt down in the ‘usual places’.
    c. The civil Registration District of Uxbridge contains a very large number of RAF Stations (which doesn’t make the problem any easier!!).
    d. BUT, a copy of the Marriage Certificate should give the legal place of residence of both parties at the time of the marriage. So you will be able to reduce the Station ORBs to look through (assuming they were still at the same Stations a year after marriage?!!!).

The General Record Office is at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/. Copies of Certs cost less than 10GBP and take about 14 days by snail-mail (there is an on-line system, but it is very expensive).

The London Fire Brigade (https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/) archives have extensive bomb-plots for WW2, but I don’t know how you get at them.

Best I can do

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

As an aside, Kay Gimlinge has an S.O.E. file at the National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C9715447

This site states that he was (also?) in the S.B.S.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/CommandoObituariesD-G

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thank you both. She’s one. I am aware of the marriage and the SOE file. It is marked as one of the files I need to check at a future visit to Kew.

Anceatry also has has a post war reference to a Mary Ann Gimlinge (née Smith), nurse.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Marriage certificate ordered from GRO. I’ll hope that will bring me closer to further information on Ann Gimlinge.

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel,
    I have sent you a PM.
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!