Thread: Personnel Despatch Centre - procedure

Thanks

Default Personnel Despatch Centre - procedure

I have an officer posted to Personnel Despatch Centre prior to demobilisation. I wonder if he had to actually moved to the base, or was it just an administrative action, and he stayed where he lived at the time, or had he to be physically present at the PDC location?
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Hi Franek

If he was being 'demobbed' he should have been posted to a Personnel Dispersal Centre rather than a Personnel Despatch Centre, what was its number?

I believe he would have gone there because it would have been necessary to collect items of equipment from him and to issue him with clothes and documents as well as complete various documentation, following which he would probably proceed home on leave.

Malcolm

Thanks

Franek, Hi,

I can’t answer your question, but can only give you some background detail.

As an Airman (and this is stretching my memory back more than 60 years!) whenever I Arrived at a Station the General Office in SHQ gave me a piece of stiff blue card (I can’t remember the Form number) about modern A5 size. This ‘Blue Card’ had a long printed list of Sections on the Station – SSQ, Library, Sports Store, Pay Accounts, Air Traffic, etc, etc. You had to get ‘signed-in’ at each Section. It was a good idea as you had to find, and go to, all these Sections. You learned the geography of the Station in 48 hrs.

When an Airman Departed from a Station he got the same Blue Card, but this time he had to get ‘signed-out’ from each Section. This ensured that he did not have a library book, bicycle, table-tennis bat, etc, etc, belonging to the Station but out to his charge when he left!! It was a pain!

As a (Reserve) Officer I have to admit that I did not have to do the same procedure (perhaps I should have done?), but I cannot remember if the Regular Officers did the same sort of thing. I suspect so!
    If your man was Posted off the strength of a flying sqn, then he still had to be somewhere (for pay & rations, etc) – thus the PDCs (and similar). These PDCs would have carried out the final Demobilisation Clearance procedure(s), but those procedures could well have been carried out at his last Station – without going to the PDC.

My own Airman’s Demobilisation was carried out with documents originating at RAF Idris (I had never ever been Posted, or Attached, there!). It was my Departure Airfield from N Africa to UK. My final Demobilisation Clearance was stamped, signed, sealed and delivered in a tin Nissen hut at Blackbushe (which was, then, no longer an RAF Station) at 0200 in the morning!. I was given a railway warrant, told I was no longer in the RAF (apart from 5yrs on the Reserve”!), and would I please get a move on as there was a long queue behind me!!

In short, Franek, I doubt if you will get a clear answer to your question. Like most things in the RAF, there is always an exception!!!

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 24th May 2018 at 15:46. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello
    Thanks for the replies.
    The unit in question was No 104 PDC. The man in question was a Polish officer. He spend 1.5 month being attached there, hence my suspicion that it was administrative action.
    Peter, I wonder why there is no RAF Inc. This looks like typical humane approach to an employee.
    That said, following my research on the RPAF, I really know, how to make mess of administrative postings, and filling vacancies without physical transfer.
    Thanks guys.
    Franek

Thanks

Hi Franek

104 Personnel Dispersal Centre was at Hednesford and dealt with the demobilisation of all RAF returning from overseas.

As I said earlier, I suspect he would have initially reported to Hednesford, but probably for as little as a day before being sent off on leave whilst remaining on their 'books' until his official release date.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm. It is interesting that the man was posted to No 104 PDC, as he was home based at the time. I wonder if because he was going abroad.