Thread: Code-names for airfield in 1939-40

Thanks

Default Code-names for airfield in 1939-40

Hi,

Like for the French Armée de l'Air the airfields were known in the messages with a code name.

Changing occured on 20 may 1940 and AIR 35-63 gives only new codes.

I have not the previous and I would like to know what was the airfield coded Taragonne and what was the code name for Lille-Seclin in April 1940.

Does anybody has a reply ?

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Hello Bertrand,

I have no proof but I think 'Tarragone' or 'Tarragon' (not 'Taragonne' ?) might be the code name for the French Mission to the AASF headquarters.
    I think the majority of airfield codenames would remain the same in May 1940 as in earlier months, based on my recollection of various squadron ORB entries. I think the main difference in the 20 May 1940 edition would be the new airfields added as the BEF retreated.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply. Tarragone could have been the name of name for the French Mission to the AASF headquarters but the message wrote clearly "Have honour to report accident occured on Tarragone airfield"

I wonder whether Tarragone could be a name for a French airfield which is not under AASF or BEF area and it is why we cannot find this code name in AIR35-63

If the changes would be the new airfields added as the BEF retreated the code name for Lille-Seclin is Miriam.

Bertrand