Thread: Clue to this Flight Sergeant

Thanks

Default Clue to this Flight Sergeant

Hi Everyon, My first posting, but I don't know if I am on the right one. Apologies if not. I am researching the men on our local Memorial and found a CWGC Grave in the Cemetery and he is on the War Memorial, but all the CWGC gives is this:- Flight Sergeant
    SHEPHERD, JACK
    Service Number 512656
    Died 12/03/1946
    Aged 33
    Royal Air Force

Son of Harry and Elizabeth Shepherd; husband of Elizabeth Shepherd, of Connah's Quay.

So I do not know anything about him and FMP, Ancestry, CWGC and the Children and Families of the Far East cannot give me a clue to him, his family or story. I do not want him to be forgotten, but other than Flight Sergeant and Royal Air Force, there is no clue. I know this is a shot in the dark, but wondered if he had been captured and then released and died of his suffering later in 1946. I have'n researched many WW2 RAF men so need any help I can get. Many thanks in advance, Mavis Williams

Thanks

Mavis, Hi - and welcome to the Forum.

A quick bit of chasing around produced the following:-

m. (Possibly) Q4 1896 Harry Shepherd m Elizabeth Jane (Briggs) Reg Chester* 8a 677 - parents marriage
    b. 1912 Jack Shepherd.
    1927(?) Enlisted (512656**) RAF Boy Entrant aged 15(?) probably at Halton.
    No immediate indication he was a PoW in Germany from PoW Lists this forum.
    m. ???? Elizabeth
    d. 12 Mar 1946 Reg Holywell*** 11b 212

* Connah’s Quay is almost a surburb of Chester. Holywell is 15m from Chester, and 8m from Connah’s Quay.
    ** There are those on the Forum who will know to which Entry that number applies. Strongly advise you obtain his RAF Service Record.
    *** Holywell Reg District contained Connah’s Quay. Death Cert will state precise Cause of Death.

Good luck.

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,

Re: your footnote **:

Shepherd was not a Boy Entrant (Halton). His service number (512656), indicates he joined as an Aircrafthand between June 1925-March 1938, ie 505001-549999.

Col.

Thanks

Whoops! Tks Col. You're right - I misread my s'sht a row out!! Well spotted!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Shepherd came up on the forum almost exactly a year ago, but very little was known about him (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ghlight=512656). As Peter suggests the best way forward would be to obtain his service record, provided you don't mind the 30 fee and 6-week wait (https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records). This will provide a record of the units/places at which he served - although you may need some help in interpreting the shorthand used - something the forum would be happy to assist with.

Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Shepherd came up on the forum almost exactly a year ago, but very little was known about him (http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ghlight=512656). As Peter suggests the best way forward would be to obtain his service record, provided you don't mind the 30 fee and 6-week wait (https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...sonnel-records). This will provide a record of the units/places at which he served - although you may need some help in interpreting the shorthand used - something the forum would be happy to assist with.

Brian
    Thank you everyone, apologies for my late reply, but I became ill about this time and I must admit I forgot that I had posted it, it was my first posting on this forum. Thank you all for your input, I am now again looking at Jack's notes and want to update if possible. I cannot afford to buy his death certificate, records, etc. as I am researching so many on the War Memorial. Many thanks again. Mavis Williams