Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Query: 550930 Jack HUTCHINSON - Air Force Medal?

Thanks

I think you nailed that one Jim.

Thanks

This is an interesting one, as the "A.F.M.' and "D.F.M." were reported at the time. Not the sort of thing you could claim to have been awarded then, I'd have thought, without soemthing to back it up.

The report of him being decorated while in hospital as mentioned in the Times obituary is (partly) backed up in the Penrith Observer report of August 1942, which I didn't include in the abridged excerpt in my original post:

Flight Sergeant Hutchinson, A.F.M., (Langwathby) has been decorated with the D.F.M. and His Majesty the King pinned it on him in hospital. Flight Sergeant Hutchinson, who is 22 years of age, has been in hospital for two years due to burns from his plane while on operations. He is now in the hands of Mr Macindoe, the plastic surgeo, and is now in camp in Northern Ireland. During his stay he was visited by the Duke of Kent.

There the some truth in there somewhere...

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Just to be sure, has anyone checked the Tavender works on the DFM ?
    It could be that we cannot find him on the London Gazette because they have incorrectly recorded his service number. That would be very unusual but not unique.

I have also checked through the ORBs for all of the Hampden operational and training squadrons for September 1939 to February 1940 inclusive, and again no mention of him.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Simon, looking back at POST #3, has anyone looked at the 71 Sq ORB around the time the supposed AFM was awarded? That is the sort of thing that sometimes pops up even though time has passed since the initial incident.

Despite a lot of searching, by me and others in the past, a gong for a Royal Marine I was chasing just defied capture: there was nothing to back up the claim that he had received a DSM until I stumbled across the correct middle name for the man. Suddenly the Gazette produced the citation. The reason I tell this tale is that I had the correct number and other names but the Gazette did not catch anything until this middle name was used. So don't give up!

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce dennis; 17th June 2018 at 14:46.
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Martin Nothing in Tavender Paul