Thread: 230 Sqn Sunderland loss

Thanks

Default 230 Sqn Sunderland loss

Hello,
    While looking for a possible solution to a request on the TOCH, I came across what may well be an error in the findagrave website.

Looking at the 2nd November, 1944, I found in CWGC.

P/O. Alexander Edward MacDonald - 182865 - RAFVR - 22AS(SAAF).
    Son of Samuel and Mary, husband of Jean McB. MacDonald of Glenmarnoch, Ayrshire.
    [ as an aside: Harvard IIa 7383(ex EX601) (22AS ?) crashed on 2nd/3rd no injury recorded ].

However when I looked in findagrave for perhaps more info I found there were photos of the headstone.
    On closer look it did not seem right ?
    The names on the stone was for -

Alexander and Margaret MacDonald of Glasgow.
    And in memory of their son, Sgt. Alastair Hugh MacDonald - killed in action 25July 1942.
    I found in CWGC that this airman was service number - 802508 - RAF( Auxiliary Air Force) and was lost with the crew of a 230 Sunderland I serial number L5806 "DX-Y" on the 25th July 1942.

So it would seem that the photos are for the wrong airman - Not For Alexander Edward MacDonald but for Alastair Hugh MacDonald.

Both men are from Scotland and both are memorialized on the same Alamein, Egyptian memorial.

Perhaps another forum member could check this out and verify my understanding of what I think I found.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Last edited by Alex Smart; 7th June 2018 at 00:52.