Thread: Information on Flight Officer Tom Danby DFC

Default Information on Flight Officer Tom Danby DFC

Hi,

I am looking for information on Flight Officer Tom Danby DFC.

I know something about him from existing threads on this forum but want to know if his Lancaster III ED 373 SR-K was named by its crew?

I know he was with 101 Squadron for a least 27 sorties but wanted to find out which other units he flew with to complete two tours.

I also want to confirm his position in the crew - I know he was a gunner but would be interested to know in which position.

One of the threads from a previous request has him posted to C.G.S wef on 17.12.43 but I am not sure what this means.

Finally does anyone have a picture of his crew with Flight Officer Tuckwell or his Lancaster?

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick

Just a minor point but his rank was Flying Officer not Flight Officer.

Malcolm

Hi,

C.G.S. - Central Gunnery School (Sutton Bridge)

Regards

Mojmir

Ton-Up Lancs has a mention of him with 166 Squadron in May 1944 as Mid-Upper gunner

https://books.google.com/books?id=gn...nby%22&f=false
    RAF Armoured Car Companies 1920-45 http://www.rafacciraq.com/

DANBY, Thomas Ramsey, F/O (111100, RAFVR) - No.101 Squadron - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 9 July 1943. Born 25 January 1918 in Brandon, Nounty Durham. Air Gunner; attached as supernumerary to Ferry Command when he proceeded overseas from Canada, 23-24 May 1942 (Montreal-Goose Bay-United Kingdom). Public Record Office Air 2/8964 has citation drafted when he had flown 39 sorties (225 hours).

This officer has now completed a most successful tour of operations in Lancaster aircraft. He has proved himself to be a worthy member of a very gallant crew, which has attained outstanding success over many well defended targets in Germany such as Cologne, Essen and Berlin. Flying Officer Danby’s courage, skill and devotion to duty have been of the highest order and have contributed in large measure to the high morale existing among gunners in this squadron.

hi, I started the original thread on F/O Danby. Could you email me on mjc41uk@yahoo.co.uk?
    Danby was the gunnery leader on 166 squadron for a short time. I am researching a book on 166 and would be very interested to hear from you.
    best wishes
    B