Thread: F/Sgt Henry Herbert Witts reagunner 109 Sqdn Wellington Z1113

Thanks

Default F/Sgt Henry Herbert Witts reagunner 109 Sqdn Wellington Z1113

I am in touch with the relatives of F/Sgt Henry Herbert Witts who was reargunner on 109 Sqdn Wellington Z1113 who was shotdown 0.50 Hrs by Lt Brinkhaus on the 31st May 1942 during the First Thousand Bomber Raid on Cologne. Thanks to Theo Boiten's book Nachtjagd war diaries i found out where the aircraft crashed at Jackerath NW of Cologne and 20 Kms south of Munchen Gladbach. I wonder if there is more specific information about the crashsite and information about the following crewmembers Sgt T.B.D.Eddy(POW), F/Sgt J.Austin(POW),Sgt T.G.H.Hadfield RCAF(POW), Sgt D.Miller and Sgt R.A.Currie who both died and now rest at Rheinberg War Cemetery with F/Sgt H.H.Witts.

Thank you very much,
    Adrian

Thanks

Hi Adrian,

R/65366 F/Sgt Tracy Goreham Harding Hatfield (note sp.) RCAF was from Tusket, Yarmouth Co., NS. Born 1919, deceased 2005.

Several online genealogy sites have him as "Senior". Presumably there may be a Junior living in that same area.

And there is. http://www.canada411.ca/res/90274277...402003442.html

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hi Adrian,

R/65366 F/Sgt Tracy Goreham Harding Hatfield (note sp.) RCAF was from Tusket, Yarmouth Co., NS. Born 1919, deceased 2005.

Several online genealogy sites have him as "Senior". Presumably there may be a Junior living in that same area.

And there is. http://www.canada411.ca/res/90274277...402003442.html

Regards,

Dave
    Well,Well Dave what a surprise and many Thanks for track the family of F/Sgt Hatfield down. Of course I will share your info with Henry Witts relatives.
    He shall be more than pleased with this information. Lost your email address by the way would you like to send it outside this board???

Cheers,
    Adrian

Thanks

Hello ,

I have Sgt T.B.D.Eddy as POW in Luft 3 Sagan number 407;

Regards
    Alain12

Thanks

This crew took off from Stradishall at 23:00 on a “Special Duty Flight”, two other 109 Wellingtons took off from Stradishall also on “Special Duty Flights” about an hour later. At this time 109 Squadron operated 3 Flights, the wireless development flight, the wireless reconnaissance flight and the wireless investigation flight. Two flights used Ansons out of Upper Heyford while the 3rd flight operated Wellingtons from Stradishall. 109 squadron was involved with investigating and jamming German radio beams as part of the Wireless Intelligence Development Unit until April 1942. In May 1942 109 Squadron was attached to 80 Group to develop the Oboe radar’s use for marking and bombing targets. If they were involved on the Cologne raid it was likely they were doing some radio counter measures for the attack.
    Eddy, Austin, Miller & Witts were posted into 109 Squadron from 9 Squadron on Nov.14/41.
    Last edited by David Wallace; 18th June 2018 at 19:08.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
    This crew took off from Stradishall at 23:00 on a “Special Duty Flight”, two other 109 Wellingtons took off from Stradishall also on “Special Duty Flights” about an hour later. At this time 109 Squadron operated 3 Flights, the wireless development flight, the wireless reconnaissance flight and the wireless investigation flight. Two flights used Ansons out of Upper Heyford while the 3rd flight operated Wellingtons from Stradishall. 109 squadron was involved with investigating and jamming German radio beams as part of the Wireless Intelligence Development Unit until April 1942. In May 1942 109 Squadron was attached to 80 Group to develop the Oboe radar’s use for marking and bombing targets. If they were involved on the Cologne raid it was likely they were doing some radio counter measures for the attack.
    Eddy, Austin, Miller & Witts were posted into 109 Squadron from 9 Squadron on Nov.14/41.
    All very interesting David, much appreciated and I will pass this info to Henry's relatives.
    Cheers,
    Adrian

Thanks

Are there maybe German members of RAF Commands who live or researching a/c crashed near Jackerath and could help me with the exact site of the crash??

Cheers,
    Adrian