Thread: Researching Pilots MORGAN and LEE

Thanks

Default Researching Pilots MORGAN and LEE

Seeking information on William John Guy MORGAN (90994), who seems to have flown photo recon all through the war. He was certainly active in 1941, and appears in the ORB for 1 PRU regularly.

Also looking for info on S/L Edward Dewar Lyell LEE

Both appear to have survived the war, but there is sparse info that I can find on either gentleman . Does anybody know more about them, or indeed, is they still with us?

FB

Thanks

Hello,

Edward Lee was born 21 November 1918, deceased Blackpool in the March 1976 Qtr.

Appears to have married Betty Davies at Fylde in the September 1948 Qtr.

ex - 2nd Lt in the TA (Royal Artillery) granted temporary commission as Pilot Officer 9 April 1940, gazetted 30 April 1940. RAF # was 43102.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../2557/data.pdf

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Dave, that is a shame but I will start with the Blackpool obituaries to see if he had any children and try and trace through that route.

My hopes are now pinned on MORGAN being alive...

FB

Thanks

FB, Hi,
    Morgan's service number looks very odd! It puts him in the RFC? If he'd been in the RFC then he'd been born before 1900? That would make him a bit old (39!) for flying duties in WW2? - not impossible, but a bit unlikely?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello,

(RAF) AUXILIARY AIR FORCE.

90400-91200 - Allocated generally to the General Duties, Medical, Acoountant and other Branches.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...4864/page/3359

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 18th June 2018 at 11:47.

Thanks

Col/FB,
    I couldn't (and still can't!) get him to come up on the LG with (a) "Forenames/SURNAME" (as printed in the LG), (b) "Initial Forenames/Surname" (subsequent entries), or (c) 90994. Very odd! That seemed to indicate he was not Commissioned!
    Which is why I went blundering off down the Enlisted route!
    Perhaps I need a new computer!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    PS Found 'im! The computer operator was the problem!!!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 18th June 2018 at 15:09. Reason: PS
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi FB,

William John Guy MORGAN joined 1 PRU c.May 41 making his first operational sortie on 13 Jun 41. He flew ops until Apr 42 when he became an instructor with 'K Flight, 1 PRU's operational training flight, ultimately becoming o/c this flight during the summer. When 'K' Flight 1 PRU became 'B' Flight 8(C) OTU Morgan remained in charge. He was posted back to Benson in Jan 43 when he became o/c 'B' Flt 544 Sqn, before joining 540 Sqn in March. He was still flying with 540 Sqn in Aug 43 but I am unaware until what date. Post war he was a test pilot with Supermarine and/or Vickers (not sure of details).

He is not to be confused with James MORGAN (82673) or William MORGAN (580206) who both served with 1 PRU at the same time as Guy. In fact William John Guy MORGAN and William MORGAN were both with the same flight at the same time, albeit only for a couple of months.

Edward Dewar Lyell LEE joined 1 PRU in the autumn of 1941, making his first op sortie on 24 Oct 41. He continued to fly operationally until 1 PRU was disbanded on 19 Oct 42 when he became o/c 'A' Flt 543 Sqn. On 09 Jun 43 he became the C/O of 542 Sqn before joining 8(C) OTU at the end of Jul 43. In 1944 he became o/c 309 FT&ADU back at Benson.

Since we last spoke I have found a photo of Guy MORGAN so let me know if you are interested in a copy.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Again Andy, you’ve been superb! Have dropped you an email off forum!

FB