Thread: 1488202 F Sgt L Agley DFM 7 Squadron RAF - DFM citation

Thanks

Default 1488202 F Sgt L Agley DFM 7 Squadron RAF - DFM citation

Hi,
    does anybody have access to the citations for the DFM as I would be interested to find out what F/Sgt Agley did to earn his medal?

cheers,
    Rick

Thanks

Rick

AGLEY Leonard
    Flight Sergeant
    7 Sqn
    LG 21/9/1945
    Sorties 39
    Flying Hours 191.20
    Air Gunner
    Air 2/8751

This N.C.O. has now completed 39 operational sorties, all of them in the Pathfinder Force with this squadron of which 29 have been as a member of the marker crew. Of a quiet and calm manner, Flight Sergeant Agley has always shown determination and devotion to duty under the most exacting conditions. His courage, fearlessness and efficiency as an Air Gunner have won entire confidence of hsi captian and crew.
    15th April 1945

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hi Simon,
    that's excellent, very many thanks,
    Rick

Thanks

Hi Rick, I have Leonard Agley's DFM. He flew a total of 43 operations with 7 Squadron of the Pathfinder Force from RAF Oakington. (His recommendation was made in April 1945 stating 39 ops, although I have definite knowledge of 40.)

I am currently researching Leonard Agley - What is your interest in him - would you have any information I may find useful ?

Best Regards

Tony

Thanks

Tony

In case you hadn't seen it, his D.F.M. award was reported, briefly, in the Yorkshire Evening Post of September 21st 1945:

Yorkshire Airmen's Awards
    Six more Yorkshire flight sergeants have been awarded the D.F.M.
    They are:- Flt-Sgt. Leonard Agley, No. 6 Squadron, born near Bradford in 1922, where his home still is. He is a former L.M.S. train booker.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon, Its good of you to let me know - I have a copy from British Newspapers online. Leonard Agley was a life long resident of Bradford and I am sure to be contacting some descendants in the not too distant future. I am on the staff at the RAF Pathfinder Collection and my interest - apart from collecting - is research and finding pathfinder families to share with them details of their relative and our collection. I have discovered some nice items along the way, as well as being able to provide relatives with information about the war service of their loved ones.

Best Regards

Tony