Thread: The fate of Wellington IC T2721 lost 30th April 1941

Thanks

Default The fate of Wellington IC T2721 lost 30th April 1941

Wellington IC T2721 of 99 Squadron was lost returning from an operation over Mannheim. My uncle Stan Holt was a wireless operator and was lost along with all crew.

In researching what is known about the fate of the aircraft I have discovered some conflicting information and I'd like to try and clarify things as far as it is possible.

The operations record book states:

Aircraft failed to return. NAP was sent at 00:50hrs and the last heard of the aircraft was S.O.S. at 3:14hrs previous to which the aircraft was homing on Waterbeach.

There is no other information in the records book or the summary of events.

In Alastair Goodrum's book about night fighters, no place for chivalry he states that Wellington T2721 was shot down into the wash with a suggested location some 65 miles north of Waterbeach. He states that the pilot Sgt Hewitson radioed that he was under attack by a night fighter. He also records crew roles and lists my uncle Stan as a gunner, although on Stans uniform in pictures we have of him he has a wireless operator flash.

My main queries here are:

Where the report regarding the radio call by Sgt Hewitson might have been sourced from as it's not in the squadron record book or summary of events.

Would Stan have potentially been trained as a wireless operator and a gunner?

Is it likely that the plane would have been so far off course? The flight path from Mannheim to Waterbeach should have meant the plane would have been a lot further south than the wash.

Any thoughts or pointers as to where I can go with this would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture of Stan, he's on the left.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5vEF8C6MDNyG65fA

All the best
    Andy
    Last edited by andyjholt; 21st June 2018 at 10:07.

Thanks

Hi Andy,

I would try to give you some answers which might help you:

Where the report regarding the radio call by Sgt Hewitson might have been sourced from as it's not in the squadron record book or summary of events.
    Well it is hard to say what was the other source, it might be for example No. 3 Group ORB? Or possibly some kind of loss report.

Yes it was common that large number of Wireless Operators have been trained also as Air Gunners - WOP/AG trade

Is it likely that the plane would have been so far off course? The flight path from Mannheim to Waterbeach should have meant the plane would have been a lot further south than the wash
    If you would imagine the methods and aids used for the navigation at the time, distance of 60 miles or so means nothing. Incorrect D/R navigation, stronger wind than foreseen/measured, etc. There is known case when a Wellington returning from Brest to East Wretham in Norfolk (in summer 1941) flew into the balloon barrage over Coventry and landed at Grantham...

HTH

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thankyou Pavel, this is very helpful to a novice researcher such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi Andy,

I would try to give you some answers which might help you:

Well it is hard to say what was the other source, it might be for example No. 3 Group ORB? Or possibly some kind of loss report.

Yes it was common that large number of Wireless Operators have been trained also as Air Gunners - WOP/AG trade

Is it likely that the plane would have been so far off course? The flight path from Mannheim to Waterbeach should have meant the plane would have been a lot further south than the wash
    If you would imagine the methods and aids used for the navigation at the time, distance of 60 miles or so means nothing. Incorrect D/R navigation, stronger wind than foreseen/measured, etc. There is known case when a Wellington returning from Brest to East Wretham in Norfolk (in summer 1941) flew into the balloon barrage over Coventry and landed at Grantham...

HTH

Pavel