Thread: 568909 LAC A.F.W. Ollett, C Flight 24 Sqn 'Flight Engineer' 1939.

Thanks

Default 568909 LAC A.F.W. Ollett, C Flight 24 Sqn 'Flight Engineer' 1939.

I'm researching the service history of the above airmen. His log book, in which he describes himself in the crew as F/E or Flight Engineer was found in a church fete last week for 1!

He flew mainly in DH 95 Flamingo R2764 from Sep 39 to July 40, including transporting famous figures such as Churchill and Eden to France, to name a few.

I know he was an ex-apprentice and survived the war, but I'd like to know more and ideally find a photo to use in an exhibition next year. Can anybody here help?

Thanks

Hello

Air 78/120 has OLLETT Arthur Frederick William, 568909. The London Gazette of October 27th 1942 has his commissioned number of 49509.

Born August 3rd 1920, died October 23rd 1983:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...william-ollett

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks Simon, he left 24 Sqn in October 1940, was commissioned from Sergeant, so obviously rose two ranks in the ensuing 18 months.

I've found a quote from a Fred Ollett in a book about Bodenplatte in 1944. Possibly the same chap and three flights in 1945 at Upavon in an Oxford finish the log book, with almost a 5 year gap!
    The log book is a civilian type and has fuel receipts and expense claims from 1940, tucked into a folder on the rear cover...niether paid! It also includes fuel tank and Sperry autopilot diagrams and several odd French visiting cards!

Thanks

Operation Bodenplatte launched on 1 January 1945.

"LAC Ollett of No. 130 (Punjab) Squadron was on his way to service his aircraft..." LAC - not F/O.

Maybe LAC Frederick Ollett 11(4)5175.

Mojmir

Thanks

Thanks, I didn't have the book at home, but it's obviously not him, from that. It's quite an unusual name though.

Thanks

If you want to research his service history surely the best way forward is to obtain Ollett's service record; forms can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...sonnel-records . See also the first paragraph of my recent post (#8) at http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-Sqn-June-1944.

If you do go down this road, and I'd certainly recommend it, make sure you include both service numbers when you complete the form. Don't fall into the trap I did recently of only using one - so only got half of what I needed.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks Brian, that's the next step.

24 sqn association would like to see it, it has some interesting things written inside.

It seems Churchill had a dodgy moment over the sea near Alderney when his Flamingo encountered an HE115 on Jun 12th 1940. Something possibly unknown before now, but it's written up in the log book.