Thread: JD 270- Halifax lost over Berlin

Thanks

Default JD 270- Halifax lost over Berlin

Hello,

I am in search of any information on JD270, a Halifax from RCAF 419th Squadron which was lost over Berlin the night of 31 Aug/morning of 01 Sep 1943. I found the following from the 419th Squadron Website:

Halifax JD270 had completed it's mission over Berlin and had escaped into the darkness past the ring of searchlights when a fighter aircraft either through accident or intentionally crashed into the port wing of the Halifax.
    This damaged the port wing controls and caused the port outer engine to catch fire. Neither the work of the Pilot or the Flight Engineer Sgt. J T Mullany could bring the aircraft back under control. With the Halifax vibrating badly and sections falling off the order to bail out was given.
    The wireless operator Sgt. Duggan who was dropping the radar jamming strips called "Window" when the crash occurred was thrown off balance but still managed to make his way to the rear escape hatch.
    Sgt. Boos and Sgt Scharf also all left by the rear escape hatch, the other members of the crew, Sgt. Cameron, Sgt. Mullany, Sgt. Birtch and Sgt. Wintzer were not seen to leave the aircraft.

In addition to this, I found that the likely culprit aircraft was piloted by Saffelkapitan Wilhelm Telge, seen here: http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety...126/index.html

Strangely enough, I am currently serving as an aviator in the American Army in Germany and would relish the chance to visit the scene of the crash to pay my respects. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Scharf
    therealericscharf@gmail.com

Thanks

Hello Eric,
    You probably already have this:

Theo Boiten "The Nachtjagd War Diaries"

Hptm. Wilhelm Telge. St.Kpt. of the 5th Staffel, dispatched two Stirlings for his 13th and 14th Abschüsse. His Bf110 G4 G9+AN rammed the second Stirling, causing the right wing of the fighter to shear. Oblt. Heinz Freymann, Telge's BF, managed to bale out at the last moment but Telge was killed when his Messerschmitt smashed into the ground. His 14th Abschuss, which was reported to have crashed at the village entry of Tuetschendorf with full bomb load , has not been identified, nor was subsequently listed by OKL as an anerkannter Abschuss (confirmed kill). Oblt Freymann was back in action again on 5-6 Sept, scoring an Abschussbeteiligung in the crew of Lt. Henseler.

Regards,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hi Eric,
    This is just a note to the forum that you and I have been in touch on this particular loss.
    For reference, the original thread from me is here: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ighlight=jd270
    David
    (And hello to all. I know it's been quite a while. I am still about but busy doing a lot of work on the first war and just recently began helping with the Cross and Cockade International Journal.)
    David

Thanks

Hi Eric,

According to Theo Boiten second edition Nachtjagd Combat Archives he has Hptm Wilhelm Telge aircraft colliding with 75 Sqn Stirling EH905 which crashed killing 5 of the crew and 2 were made POWs. He also states an unidentified pilot of II./JG300 flying a Fw190 A-4 rammed a bomber and bailed out and landed near Juterbog. His victim was probably Halifax JD270 of 419 Sqn.

I hope that helps.

John.
    Last edited by John Williams; 12th May 2019 at 09:35.