Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George J Dawson

Thanks

Default George J Dawson

Hello
    Does anyone have any information about him? He was a pre-war pilot, born 1907, and post war he founded a short living Atlas Aviation. Otherwise I was not able to find anything about him.
    TIA
    Franek
    https://www.facebook.com/Franciszek-Grabowski-241360809684411/

Thanks

Hello,

Airspeed AS.65 Consul (c/n.3428) G-AHMA. Registered to George John Dawson, 26 Bathurst Mews, London. W.2. 1947.

https://cwsprduksumbraco.blob.core.w...ger/G-AHMA.pdf

The Airpeed AS.65 Consul - Great Britain.

G-AHMA - c/n 3428 - Ex-LX732 - C of A date: 29.7.1946.

Airwork, Heston, 4.5.46
    G.J.Dawson, trading as Atlas Aviation/Guernsey Air Charter, Gatwick, 29.7.1946.
    Crashed at Villemoireau, near Istres, France, 23.12.46, on flight from Gatwick to Geneva: Registration cancelled 1.3.47. (no deaths).

See:
    The Oxford, Consul & Envoy File.
    Hamlin,John F.
    Tunbridge Wells:Air-Britain (Historians),2001
    p.263.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th June 2018 at 14:01.

Thanks

Thanks! He had four Consuls at Atlas Aviation. Pre-war he crashed his Robinson Redwing Mk II G-ABOK. It seems he was also selling some military surplus, but there is nothing I can find on his wartime career as well as any post war involvement but Atlas. He passed away in 1985 in London, he had at least one wife with three children, whom he later divorced. That is all I can find.

Thanks

Franek

A little digging has brought up the following:

The Daily Mirror of November 7th 1951 carried an article about a Mr. Norman Henry Teakle, who died in Switzerland in July 1950. Included in the article are the following snippets:

"Mr. Teakle, a friend of Cockney millionaire George Dawson, was the former Deputy Director of Disposals at the Ministry of Supply. He left England unexpectedly in 1949....by that time he had left the Ministry and was in business of his own. He became a director of Atlas Aviation, Ltd., whose affairs were investigated in the Bankruptcy Court earlier this year. According to the Official Receiver, much of the company's business was introduced by millionaire Dawson, who lent four planes to the company."

Air Britain's "British Independent Airlines" has an entry for Atlas: started on October 5th 1946 by Mr. G. J. Dawson, but had previously been flying ad hoc charters from Heston in July. Operated from Elstree, and formed an associate company in 1946 with Guernsey Air Charter. As well as the Consul in Col's post, they lost Proctor V G-AHZX, which ditched in the English Channel April 16th 1947 after engine failure with the loss of three lives - the pilot and two passengers, including a two and a half year old girl, with the child's mother the only survivor*. The inquiry found that the ownership of the Proctor could not be established. Flying continued through the early summer of 1947, but operations ceased soon after July. In all they operated three Proctors and four Consuls, as well as a Miles Gemini.

Furthermore, the Daily Herald of June 12th 1947, reporting on the inquiry into the Proctor crash, quoted Air Commodore Vernon Brown, conducting the inquiry, who made comment about "evidence about the maintenance of this aircraft and of the employment of a pilot with no 'B' licence."

The accident reports are at the National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ails/r/C575805

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ails/r/C576562

*See also:
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...AYNE-BoB-pilot

Dawson seems to have been killed in Proctor G-AWHP, formerly of Atlas:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=145258

Newspapers at the time reported that the passenger was thought to be Dawson's son, but the Key Forum Link on that page has a link to Flight Magazine about the ID of the passenger - see post #47.

The National Probate Calendar has the following:

DAWSON George John James of 108 Glenister Park Road, Streatham, Surrey, died 6 January 1948 at sea. Administration London 12 November to Florence Elizabeth Dawson (wife of George John Dawson).

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Hello,

A little more on Mr Dawson:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article192317423

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article230872668

All a mistake! Too true.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th June 2018 at 16:19.

Thanks

Hello All,

I don’t quite know where to start on this one!

I have spent much of the afternoon reading The [London] Times archive. A long and complicated story, and I have no wish to send you off chasing wild geese. BUT -

There appear to be two George J Dawsons. There is a George John Dawson, and a George John Frederick Dawson. Both of these appear in The Times Court Cases. There is some considerable coverage. IF they are one and the same then:

George John Frederick Dawson
    b. 9 Apr 1907 (Reg St Olave Bermondsey 1d 211) [MMS Beverley]
    m. (can’t find his marriage, but The Times reports what the modern print media would call a “messy and acrimonious” divorce)
    d. Q4 1985 (Reg Westminster 1085 15 1904).

Now for the circumstantial evidence. All I can find (and I only speed-read the ‘column yards’ in The Times) is that he is once mentioned as having had an aeroplane, and connections with (and visits to) a company in Luxembourg. The a/c he crashed was originally LX-732? (it crashed at Villemoireau which is only 45nm from Geneva, but 126nm from Istres!! Somebody would have failed their Geography O-Level?).

He appears to have been a thoroughly unpleasant financier with an additiction to acquiring other people’s money. He spent some time in His Majesty’s Prisons on one occasion, and was fined large sums of money on another - which he appeared to pay?

I would not have lent him any of your money!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks guys. It looks that George James Frederic Dawson is the man. He got his RAC licence on 11 June 1937. It is unclear what he did during the war. After the war he founded short living Atlas Aviation, and was involved in aircraft deliveries to Israel. It seems that one of his pilots was Jimmy Swanston (Swainston) discussed elsewhere on this forum. Aircraft routes are interesting. It looks he had many businesses at the time. Apart of problems mentioned with frauds and gun running, his names appears briefly in another smuggling case of 1950s. His first wife was Florence, then following divorce, Olga Mirinov, with whom he had three children, and then divorced again. Frankly, I am surprised, that there is no more on him. This kind of people are not necessarily low profile ones, despite their wishes.
    By the way, is it mentioned the way Norman Henry Teakle died?

Thanks

Franek

Nothing about Norman Henry Teakle as such - a couple of sources on ancestry.co.uk state that he died at Davos-Platz, July 3rd 1951.

The article in the Daily Mirror also reported:

"Scotland Yard had been wanting to speak to him about missing Ministry of Supply files...before he left England, Mr. Teakle had been interviewed by police inquiring into deals totalling millions of pounds which passed through his hands when he was at the Ministry.
    Mr. Teakle left only 1,998 in his will."

Hmm....

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Norman Henry Teakle
    b. 20 Jan 1895 (Reg Lewisham 1d 1225)
    1914-1918 Service (S/27834) in 5th Btn Rifle Bde.
    1916 Service (R/32774) in 22nd Btn KRRC.
    m1. Q3 1916 m Hilda R Dicketts (Reg Rochford 4a 1208).
    m2. Q1 1933 m Vera S Pogreboff (Reg Kensington 1a 258)
    16 Aug 1933 Travelled to Quebec from S’oton aboard Empress of Britain. Occupation ‘Director’. (there were other trans-Atlantic crossings).
    17 Jan 1939 On trial at Central Criminal Court for stock market fraud.
    18 Jan 1939 Judge ordered “Not Guilty” verdict.
    1939 Census Living at 21 Cale Street , Chelsea, London, England
    m3. Q2 1946 m Genia Boardman (Reg Chelsea 1a 943).
    d. 3 Jul 1951 Davos-Platz, Zurich (GE 46.801884 9.835931) GRO Consular/Simon
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

AND:-
    Edinburgh Gazette 16 Dec 1927 Receiving Orders
    [I]Norman Henry Teakle, of and carried on business at Dunster House, Mincing Lane, London, and lately residing at 87 Elizabeth Street. Eaton Square, London, produce broker.

[/I[I]]H.M. LAND REGISTRY.. The following land is about to be registered. Any objections should be addressed to " H.M. Land Registry, Brooke Street, London, E.C..I," before the zoth day of April 1945. FREEHOLD.
    (2) Long Farthings and Tithe Barn (Tythe Barn GE 51.765694 -0.927450)[/I], Haddenham, Bucks, by N. H. Teakle of that addre

Peter Davies