Thread: Seeking photograph of Edward 'Jack' Charles, RCAF

Thanks

Default Seeking photograph of Edward 'Jack' Charles, RCAF

Gents,

For an article I'm currently writing, I'm seeking a publishable photograph of Canadian ace Edward 'Jack' Charles. If anyone can help, please contact me via email: bookie190@hotmail.com. A shot from 15 May 1943, when he claimed Biggin Hill's 1,000th aerial victory, would be especially useful.

I realise that there are quite a few photographs of him online, but I want something I have permission to publish. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

The following are available via Library and Archives Canada - RCAF photo PL-15853 (ex UK-2931 dated 19 May 1943) shows G/C A.G. Malan, DSO, DFC (station commander), S/L E.F.J. Charles (second from right), W/C A. Deer (extreme right, New Zealander, in charge of station flying) and officer wearing cap is station intelligence officer; PL-15854 (ex UK-2932) shows left to right, Sergeant Vernon Lancaster (Australian, shot down West Lancashire Squadron’s 100th aircraft), G/C A.G. Malan, DSO, DFC , S/L E.F.J. Charles, DFC, and S/L Al Deer (New Zealand); PL-15855 (ex UK-2933) shows Charles alone by propellor displaying his father’s First World War wings. Photo PL-34160 also shows him.

Thanks

Hello Hugh,

Thank you for your prompt response, and for the pointer towards some relevant photographs. However, I've used the Library and Archives Canada Collection Search and have been unable to find any of these photographs. Are they available online, or only by ordering copies? A photograph of 'Jack' Charles is not that vital to my article, so I'd prefer an easily accessible photograph that doesn't require ordering and payment, if possible.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.

Thanks

Andrew,

Might I suggest you contact Aldon Ferguson - http://www.611squadronrauxaf.co.uk/contact.html Being a fellow author you "might" get a sympathetic hearing. The rights to some of the shots mentioned by Hugh are actually held by the 611 Sqn collection, some of which can be seen here: http://www.611squadronrauxaf.co.uk/images.html

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th June 2018 at 23:52.

Thanks

Thanks

Zoran and Col,

Thank you both for your responses. I'll send an email to Mr. Ferguson in the near future, to see if he is able to help.

Cheers,
    Andrew A.