Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corporal 529742 Norman Bert Jones Alexander - 30 Squadron (Moved)

Thanks

Default Corporal 529742 Norman Bert Jones Alexander - 30 Squadron (Moved)

New to the forum so hoping that someone is able to assist.

I am trying to find out about the death of Corporal 529742 Norman Bert Jones Alexander, 30 Squadron

He died 31/05/1941 and is buried / commemorated at Alamein Memorial, Egypt.

Is there anybody that can shed any light on the specific details, such as aircraft, misson etc.

Many thanks!

Thanks

Your man is also commemorated on the memorial to the 30 Squadron men who were killed or missing during the battle for Crete. I believe that this memorial is located at Maleme Airfield. His name appears along with my father's cousin's, Corporal Frank Thomas Williams, who's date of death was 20th May 1941*. There is a photograph of the stone tablet in the Air Britain book 'Flat Out' the story of 30 Squadron (ISBN 0851303080). There is another book 'Operation Mercury' by MG Comeau MM, 'a British airman's first hand account account of the fall of Crete 1941. (ISBN 18523895)

'Operation Mercury' has this to say about the events of 20th May;

[I]"..while at Maleme 30 Squadron airmen joined A Company New Zealanders in holding the NE section of Kavkazia Hill against all comers. They lost 13 airmen, 5 corporals and two sergeants killed that day, a fifth of their number."

It is clear that during the invasion of Crete, RAF aircraft were evacuated, the ground crews forced to defend themselves by fighting as infantry. However Corporal Alexander's death on 31st May is very late, the Royal Navy's evacuation of survivors had ceased on the morning of the 28th due to continual dive-bombing, although some men had attempted to escape in small boats.

I realise that I have not answered you specific question, but I hope the further reading I have suggested will give insight into the situation prevailing.

regards

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 21st July 2018 at 14:58. Reason: removed duplicated word

Thanks

DaveW (HTSCF),
    Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the personnel who became PoW subsequent to the end of hostilities on Crete? I am particularly interested in the RAF personnel of the Mobile Met Unit. Any help will be gratefully received!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

No, sorry I cannot help except to say that there appears to be some access to POW records via Findmypast. I had a quick look at it but it seems that one must search on a name by name basis. (Not an expert on this! The NA File number referred to is WO 416 if that helps.

DaveW

Thanks

DaveW,
    Tks that. I'll have a go at TNA, but my Played/Won/Lost record with them is not good!!
    Does anybody know if the Red Cross - when notifying belligerents of either side on PoWs - included the Unit (rather than just No, Rank, Name, as required by Geneva Convention(s))?
    TIA
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Your man is also commemorated on the memorial to the 30 Squadron men who were killed or missing during the battle for Crete. I believe that this memorial is located at Maleme Airfield. His name appears along with my father's cousin's, Corporal Frank Thomas Williams, who's date of death was 20th May 1941*. There is a photograph of the stone tablet in the Air Britain book 'Flat Out' the story of 30 Squadron (ISBN 0851303080). There is another book 'Operation Mercury' by MG Comeau MM, 'a British airman's first hand account account of the fall of Crete 1941. (ISBN 18523895)

'Operation Mercury' has this to say about the events of 20th May;

[I]"..while at Maleme 30 Squadron airmen joined A Company New Zealanders in holding the NE section of Kavkazia Hill against all comers. They lost 13 airmen, 5 corporals and two sergeants killed that day, a fifth of their number."

It is clear that during the invasion of Crete, RAF aircraft were evacuated, the ground crews forced to defend themselves by fighting as infantry. However Corporal Alexander's death on 31st May is very late, the Royal Navy's evacuation of survivors had ceased on the morning of the 28th due to continual dive-bombing, although some men had attempted to escape in small boats.

I realise that I have not answered you specific question, but I hope the further reading I have suggested will give insight into the situation prevailing.

regards

DaveW
    Thanks DaveW for this. There is some very interesting stuff that you have found that will need some following up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    DaveW (HTSCF),
    Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the personnel who became PoW subsequent to the end of hostilities on Crete? I am particularly interested in the RAF personnel of the Mobile Met Unit. Any help will be gratefully received!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    There are various records held on Forces War Records, but I would not be prepared to say that it covers your specific requirements.

If you provide me an individuals details I shall see what luck I have if you like. It might then indicate if the specific area that you are looking at is readily available or not.

Thanks

HTSCF,
    Mni tks yr offer of help. But it's the names that I'm trying to discover. I can't even find a decent RAF ORBAT, and locations, for Crete in 1941. If I knew where all the Units were it would make tracking down the names much easier! We know of one RAF Met Unit OR who became a PoW from Crete (753715 LAC J O Weston, BEM - he got the BEM for his work whilst in the PoW camps!). He would NOT have been on his own in Crete! He would have been a member of a Formed Unit. There would have been 2 (or 3) other ORs in the same Unit. There would have been 1 (or 2) NCOs, and 2 (maybe 3) Forecaster Officers!! Who were they? Why did they not become PoWs? What was the Unit? The Gp Capt i/c the RAF element (Beamish) eventually became an Air Marshal - so the debacle was not regarded as a blot on his copy-book!!
    Tks again, but if you ever come across any Crete 1941 ORBATs and/or locations I would be grateful for the 'heads-up'!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    PS I've had to reply this way as you don't give any PM, or email, info!
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 22nd July 2018 at 13:49. Reason: QSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    I can't even find a decent RAF ORBAT, and locations, for Crete in 1941. If I knew where all the Units were it would make tracking down the names much easier!
    Peter, have you looked at AIR 10/3954 & 5?

HTH,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Bruce,
    Tks yr help. I've sent you an email.
    Yrs
    Peter Davies