Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different types of night landings

Thanks

Default Different types of night landings

Hi all,

I would like for explanation for two different types of night landings used for pilot re-training (I am not sure if I have used correct phrases as it is translation):

(a) Landing on "ramp"
    (b) Landing on "path + reflector"

From the training order I understand (a) option was easier one?

TIA

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 24th July 2018 at 16:46.
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

It sounds like different types of approach lighting techniques.

Thanks

Yes you would be right.
    So far I was able to find out that option (b) would be probably the standard runway lights + Chance Light.
    So remains question what was "ramp lights"?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    So remains question what was "ramp lights"?

TIA

Pavel
    Ramp = Slope ??

Perhaps an early form of VASI ? VASI - Visual Approach Slope Indicator.They did come into use at some airfields during the 1940's

Red and White lights near the RWY threshold to give the pilot an indication of the angle of his approach.

Red over White(on glidepath)

Red over Red (too low)

White over White (too high)

Thanks

Thanks

Hi bvs,

thank you very much for your informative post.
    As the landings with use of "ramp" was at the initial stage of training on Ansons first, later on Wellingtons, I am pretty sure it would be the VASI which would help to teach them how to approach the runway properly.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel
    I am glad you asked the question - I had often wondered when glideslope indicators came into being but kept forgetting to check.
    Anyway the answer would appear to be circa 1941 with the advent of the 'Drem' type of airfield lighting.
    I had a look on the ARG website (Airfield Research Group) - some of their members have a wealth of knowledge about Airfields etc.

This info was posted on ARG by 'Carnaby'

Drem Mk.1 in 1941 had 230V, 250W Angle of Glide Indicators - one only on the left of each runway, showing red / green / amber on approach. It was optimised on 5 degrees.

Later that year, with the advent of Drem Mk.2, a slow rotating shutter was added to make them flicker. They were renamed AAIs and a second was now added on the right of the runway. Later still the left unit was lowered by 0.5 degree, and the RH one was raised by the same amount.

This resulted in green and red when slightly too low, green and green when correct, and amber and green when slightly too high. Clearly two reds or two ambers meant way out!
    So slightly different to the indication from the later VASI but would be almost as easy to use/interpret by a pilot making a night landing.

rgds baz

Thanks

Hi Baz,

thanks for additional info. As I have forgot to mention that I am talking about Aug-Sep 1940 it seems to there must be something else or a predecessor of Drem Mk.1 ...

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel
    Mid 1940 might make it slightly more complicated,I think it possible that some Airields might have had the Drem system just before 1941 but I am not an expert on Airfield lighting :)

Prior to the Drem lighting system I think that there were possibly 2 or 3 other lighting systems in use at some airfields,one of them being 'Contact' Lighting.

Again from the ARG website 'Carnaby' also posted

Contact Lighting (C/L) was a medium-intensity system which was visible from all angles, i.e. it was not discrete.
    Installed on around 160 airfields only, it was intended to assist aircraft to land in poor visibility conditions in conjunction with a radio / radar beam landing system.
    The runway lamps were 44 or 64 watts, and the fittings were installed at 16 metre intervals in the runway edge, or just outside if the system was retrospective.
    It was installed on main runway only, and a 'box' of four floodlamps just off the end of the runway formed a rudimentary approach system.
    Confusingly there were three variations, Mk.1 to Mk.3.
    rgds baz

Thanks

Hi Pavel
    Also I guess the obvious question is which Airfield(s) the training was being carried out on ?just in case we can narrow down the likely lighting systems fitted at that time.

rgds baz