Thread: Sgt James Gordon Innes RAFVR-778572

Thanks

Default Sgt James Gordon Innes RAFVR-778572

Hello, Could anyone please tell me where in Rhodesia did he come from and date of birth. Also parents names.
    Also where he enlisted in Rhodesia 1940.
    Many thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Hello Roy,

778572 Sgt James Gordon INNES RAFVR, was born 8/8/1919, in Figtree, Southern Rhodesia. Named on WW II Memorial, Bulawayo. Also served on 61 OTU and 266 (Rhodesia) Squadron.

See: A Pride of Eagles The Definitive History of the Rhodesian Air Force 1920 - 1980, Beryl Salt (2001), p.745.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th July 2018 at 10:57.

Thanks

Roy,
    I'd established that the Innes family were active around the Bulawayo area (Figtree is 20 miles from Bulawayo).
    See also "21 EFTS Kumalo S.R Opened 20 September 1940. The airfield remains active today as Kumalo Aerodrome, albeit with larger runways to the North East of the original. Brady Barracks ( the red roofed buildings to the south west) are the former RAF base." (http://www.ianmeredith.com/raf_africa/locations.htm). Note the opening date! Might well be very close to his Enlistment date, which I'd estimated as very close to the end of 1940 from his S/n.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hello Peter and Col,
    Thanks Peter for giving me details where Sgt Innes trained on 21 EFTS at Kumalo near Bulawaylo. As I only had Rhodesia now I have Southern Rhodesia. Many thanks
    Hello Col, I see you have not lost your touch, many thanks for Sgt Innes date of birth and location at Figtree and his posting to 266 sqn, which must have been before his posting to 609 sqn.
    Thanks gents,
    Roy