Thread: 11 OTU search in January 1944 (moved)

Thanks

Default 11 OTU search in January 1944 (moved)

Would anyone have access to the ORB's or any other information pointing to Operations carried out during January 1944? I'm trying to find out when F/S Watson W, Navigator, took part in his first op before transferring to 75Sqn. I'm kinda at a dead end without travelling the 500 odd miles to Kew!

Thanks

Jake,

Traveling 500 miles won't help, I'm afraid.

The ORB shows a few Bulleyes as well as an attempted ERIC (cancelled owing to weather) for January 1944.

On 23 January, an attempt was made to send up four aircraft for Nickelling to Argentin, Alencon, Le Mans and Laval. Cancelled.

On the 25th at 1840 hrs "After slight delay due to weather first Nickel aircraft airborne. Captains and aircraft participating: F/Sgt Nairn in OP-C; F/Sgt Gowith in OP-G; F/Sgt Appleby in OP-T and F/O Washer in OP-H. 2148 hrs F/Sgt Teague took off for Bullseye in exercise in OP-S".

Your subject is in a class photo of No. 83 Course. Let me know if you would like it.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave, much obliged. F/S Watson is credited with one op with 11OTU according to RNZAF records sent out but with no further detail.
    His Log Book is unobtainable - though it was received by his NOK in 1947 - so it looks like this line of research may be at an end if the crew members names are not listed. Is this standrad practice. i.e. Captain and aircraft details only?
    Would Walter have just been a 'spare', or were newly qualified crews thrown together for familiarisation?
    The photograph would be a great help.
    Regards,
    Jake