Thread: Service records

Thanks

Default Service records

Recently I sent away for my husbands service records (LH Tolchard) and was very pleased to receive them within 4 weeks. They gave me links to. Follow if I wanted further information and explained very nicely that they can't foot the costs of for further research. This makes me think that I may be biting off more than I can chew. My intention is to apply for information about Les's medals . I have medals, investiture invites etc and even a couple of telegrams of congrats from 49 and 83 squadron but not one word of the whys and wherefores of the awards. Here's hoping.

this sounds more difficult but if possible

Thanks

I would appreciate if anyone could give me any tips on the easiest way to apply for info on Les's missions on 49 and 83 squadron. Nothing technical just facts.
    Gathering info to pass on to my young grandson. -eventually.

Mag Ti

'

Thanks

Hello Magda

Leslie Hall Tolchard D.F.C. and Bar is one of the 'local' airmen I've been researching for the past few years, being from Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

I've done a bit of research into him, and have the following newspaper reports, if you don't have them already:

From the Sunderland Echo, September 14th 1943:

Old Bedan Awarded the D.F.C.
    Veteran of many sorties and engaged in the recent raids on Berlin, Pilot Officer Leslie Hall Tolchard, R.A.F.V.R., of 76 Hastings Street, Sunderland, has been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
    Pilot Officer Tolchard volunteered for the R.A.F. two and a half years ago and went to America for this flying training. He was awarded his R.A.F. and U.S. Army Air Corps wings early this year. Later he was commissioned.
    He started operations flying Whitley bombers, with the Coastal Command and was later transferred to Bomber Command Lancasters. He was one of the pilots in the long-distance flight to Pilsen in Czecho-Slovakia.
    Born in Newcastle, Pilot Officer Tolchard came to Sunderland with his parents about ten years ago. He has also lived at South Shields. He is 22 and was educated at Westoe Secondary School and at Bede Collegiate School, Sunderland. While at Bede School he won his colours for both cricket and football, and played inside right for Barnet A.F.C.
    Before joining the R.A.F. he was employed in the office of the Paymaster-General at Whitehall.
    ‘Conscientious Captain’
    Pilot Officer Tolchard’s official citation says that he is a conscientious captain of aircraft, all of whose sorties have been successfully completed. He has been notably careful in his flight preparations, which accounts in a large measure for his successes. During his tour of operational duty he has participated in attacks on many targets in the Ruhr area and also on Stettin and Spezia.

And from the Newcastle Journal, May 24th 1944:

WEAR MAN GETS BAR TO D.F.C.
    Acting Flight-Lieut. Leslie Tolchard, of Sunderland, captain of a heavy bomber, was awarded the D.F.C. last September. Yesterday it was announced that he has won the Bar.
    Tolchard is described in the official citation as possessing “the greatest eagerness to undertake his allotted tasks.” He was born in Newcastle 23 years ago and went to Bede Collegiate School, Sunderland.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 29th July 2018 at 16:14. Reason: corrected odd formatting

Thanks

Hello Simon,
    Thank you for your quick reply and for all of the information. It fills a few blanks in for me too . Les left London after the war as his Dad was ill. He transferred to the DhSS in Newcastle and then Sunderland. He didn't really talk that much about the RAF then. I suppose all of the young men were home after doing their bit for their country. It was when we got a computer that he started searching around and talking about it. He would have loved this site and being able to talk and discuss things with you and others.
    Thanks again Simon for the information. Great.

Mag

Thanks

Hello,

The Skoda Works Raid 18/17-4-1943 (Pilsen).

No.49 Sqn
    Lancaster III ED448:EA-
    T/O: 21:16 Landed: 05:56 (8 hrs 40 mins)
    Time on Target: 01:59
    Bombed: 8,000ft

Visibility 5 miles. Skoda works clearly identified. Fired at by Lancaster 3/4th April ops Essen and by own guns at Folkestone on ops Stuttgart 14/15th April. This was Arnold's 28th op.

Sgt (Capt.) L. N. [sic] Tolchard
    Sgt (Flt Eng.) A. E. Best
    F/O (Nav.) L. R. Hastings
    AUS402904 F/Sgt (W.Op.) Victor Medway Arnold RAAF
    Sgt (MUG)) D. Doe
    F/Sgt (AB.) G. W. Coburn RCAF
    Sgt (RG) G. H. Porter RCAF

See:
    A Shaky Do! The Skoda Works Raid 16/17th April 1943.
    Cunliffe,Peter Wilson.
    N.P.,:Author,Accycunliffes Publications,2010 (2nd ed.)
    p.204

Nb. There is a photo of P/O Tolchard's Lancaster (ED448), and crew on p.54, with 29 ops marked up (Source: Tolchard).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th July 2018 at 18:39.

Thanks

Hello
    Thanks for the info. The Skoda Works shows the source as Tolchard so I am assuming that Les must have been in contact with the Author. I must look through the RAF books as I seem to remember the name. It rings a bell anyway and there may be a letter.
    Regards
    Mag

Thanks

Magda,

From Hugh Halliday's Honours and Awards database, the entry on Sgt, later P/O, Graham Willoughby Coburn:

COBURN, P/O Graham Willoughby (J18560) - Distinguished Flying Cross - No.83 Squadron - Award effective 10 January 1944 as per London Gazette dated 18 January 1944 and AFRO 410/44 dated 25 February 1944. Born 8 September 1921. Home in Beeton, Ontario; studying Engineering at University of Toronto when he enlisted in Toronto, 20 February 1941. To No.1 Manning Depot, date uncertain. To No.4 Manning Depot, 2 April 1941; to “K”, 8 April 1941. To No.3 ITS, 27 May 1941; graduated and promoted LAC, 14 July 1941 when posted to No.20 EFTS . Ceased training 15 August 1941 and posted to Trenton. To No.9 AOS, 19 September 1941; graduated 19 December 1941 and posted next day to No.4 BGS; graduated and promoted Sergeant, 31 January 1942 but not posted to No.2 ANS until 25 April 1942; to No.1 CNS, 25 May 1942; graduated 8 June 1942. Commissioned 3 August 1943. Promoted Flying Officer, 3 February 1944. Applications for Operational Wings show he flew two tours (40 sorties); was at No.6 OTU late in 1945. Served in postwar RCAF to 1964 (26382). After completing a B.A. at the University of Western Ontario, a teaching diploma at London Teachers College and an M.A. at Wayne State University in Michigan, Sandy undertook a second, 22-year career as a special education consultant for the Ontario Ministry of Education. Died in London, Ontario, 6 August 2009. No citation other than "completed...many successful operations against the enemy in which [he has] displayed high skill, fortitude and devotion to duty." Public Records Office Air 2/9153 has recommendation dated 20 November 1943 when he had flown 39 sorties (248 hours 25 minutes).

28 February 1943 - St.Nazaire
    12 March 1943 - Essen
    22 March 1943 - Duisburg
    26 March 1943 - St.Nazaire
    27 March 1943 - Berlin
    29 March 1943 - Berlin
    3 April 1943 - Essen
    4 April 1943 - Kiel
    8 April 1943 - Duisburg
    9 April 1943 - Duisburg
    13 April 1943 - Spezia
    14 April 1943 - Stuttgart
    15 April 1943 - Pilsen
    18 April 1943 - Spezia
    20 April 1943 - Stettin
    26 April 1943 - Duisburg
    12 May 1943 - Duisburg
    13 May 1943 - Pilsen
    23 May 1943 - Dortmund
    27 May 1943 - Essen
    21 June 1943 - Krefeld
    3 July 1943 - Cologne
    8 July 1943 - Cologne
    9 July 1943 - Gelsenkirchen
    12 July 1943 - Turin
    27 August 1943 - Nuremberg
    31 August 1943 - Berlin
    3 September 1943 - Berlin
    5 September 1943 - Mannheim
    6 September 1943 - Munich
    21 September 1943 - Hanover
    29 September 1943 - Bochum
    2 October 1943 - Munich
    3 October 1943 - Kassel
    7 October 1943 - Stuttgart
    8 October 1943 - Hanover
    18 October 1943 - Hanover
    22 October 1943 - Kassel
    10 November 1943 - Modane

Pilot Officer Coburn has completed 39 operational sorties against the enemy, and in addition seven anti-submarine patrols with Coastal Command. Fifteen of these have been with Pathfinder Force, and have included attacks on Berlin, Hanover, Duisburg, Stettin, Pilsen and other heavily defended targets in the Ruhr.

Throughout all these operations, Pilot Officer Coburn has displayed the utmost keenness and determination in pressing on to bomb accurately in the face of enemy opposition, and has obtained several excellent aiming point photographs.

His captain and crew have the fullest confidence in his ability, and his skill as bomb aimer has been particularly responsible for the success achieved in all the operations in which he has participated.

Public Record Office Air 50/197 has the following Combat Report for night of 27/28 September 1943, Lancaster JA913, G/83, target Hanover. Crew given as follows: Captain, P/O Tolshard; Air Bomber, Flight Sergeant G.W. Coburn (later commissioned and awarded DFC); Flight Engineer, Flight Sergeant Lawes; Navigator, F/O Hastings; WOP, Sergeant George; Mid-Upper Gunner, Sergeant Doe (who fired no rounds); Rear Gunner, Sergeant Porter (who fired 150-200 rounds):

On the night of 27/28th September 1943, at 2211 hours, position 52.14 North 09.30 East, height 20,000 feet, heading 298̊ Magnetic, visibility good, no cloud. An unidentified twin-engined aircraft was sighted by the Rear Gunner on the port quarter at range of 600 yards. The Rear Gunner opened fire immediately and the aircraft broke away without returning fire to port beam and was not seen again. No claims are made and there was no damage to our aircraft and no apparent ground cooperation.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Dave
    Thanks for all of the info you sent its great and I keep going through it over and over. One thing puzzles me though and that is Graham Coburn. I have raked out a letter from him to Les dated 19th June 1944 and he is in Ossington with Porter and obviously doesn't think he has a DFC. Unless there was another Graham?
    Regards
    Mag