Thread: HQ 10 Group Staff 1940

Thanks

Default HQ 10 Group Staff 1940

Dear all,

I am attempting to research an RAF Wing Commander who was on the staff of HQ 10 Group between 27 June 1940 - 8 August 1941 (his service records confirm the dates). However, I have no idea in what capacity he was employed there, nor why he was awarded the OBE for his efforts over the BoB period. With no experience of researching personnel at Group HQs, can anyone provide me with a steer please? Is there an ORB that covers this period, or maybe a confidential AFL that provides me with a clue as to what post he occupied? Are the recs still around for the 1941 New Years honours?

Very many thanks for any assistance provided.

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny,
    Malcolm's RAFWEB has got the 10 Grp HQ 'wiring diagrams' for Jun 1941 and Jul 1942 with all the Wg Cdrs named. Mighthelp?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks Peter. Unfortunately it doesn't provide the fidelity that I am after.

Kind rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Jonny,
    Who was guy you were chasing? The only Wg Cdr (Subs - but A/Gp Capt) that I could find with an OBE was George Edward Wilson (03106), and he would have got it for his work in 12 Grp (10 Grp wasn't invented until 1 Jun 40) prior to his posting to 10 Grp. Mind you, anybody who had worked under Leigh-Mallory for 3 years deserved an OBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Jonny

Was your man Wg Cdr C W Walter, he joined 10 Group on 27 Jun 1940, which is how he was listed in the CAFL but the AFL lists him as simply Cyril Walter (no W).

Unfortunately the CAFLs don't give individual appointment details only that he was on the Air Staff. You would probably need to look in the Group records for his appointment/role details

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 31st July 2018 at 19:06.

Thanks

Chaps,

My man was indeed Grp Capt Cyril Walter OBE (confirmed with no middle initial and no 's' at the end of his surname). He commanded 17 Sqn until late '39 and then found himself in France commanding 67 Wing AASF. Following evacuation he went to 10 Group and was awarded the OBE for his efforts during the BoB. He subsequently commanded RAF Exeter and 58 OTU, gaining 2 x MIDs along the way.

I think I am going to struggle to find much more about him while he was at 10 Group though. Can anyone advise what Group records there might be out there please?

Rgds and thanks

Jonny