Thread: Flight Sergeant Jeffrey James Rogers, 1601225. 603 Squadron. Ob. July 23 1944

Thanks

Default Flight Sergeant Jeffrey James Rogers, 1601225. 603 Squadron. Ob. July 23 1944

Jeffrey Rogers was a relative. Most of what I know about him is derived from the Alamein Memorial, column 280, which records his death on July 23 1944 when he was 21. Family lore suggests he was a navigator, though I have no proof of this. I understand that 603 Squadron was flying Bristol Beaufighters from Libya/Egypt at the time, with a view to protecting convoys/harassing what remained of German shipping around occupied Greek islands. Which would fit with family tradition. Can anyone shed any light on him, who he flew with, what his mission was and what happened to his plane?

I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Hi ,
    You are correct, he was a navigator with 603 on Beaufighters.

There is quite a lot in "The Greatest Squadron of them all" volume 2 by Grub Street, 2003.

I will e mail you further.

regards
    Peter

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, Hamilcar.

If you are interested in his full career I would strongly suggest you obtain his service record. This type of query arises quite frequently and you will find the appropriate link within this thread, http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...in-Middle-East, under my signature (Lyffe). This also provides a link to another thread to which I responded offering similar advice.

Brian