Thread: Coastal Command Apapa 270 Squadron

Thanks

Default Coastal Command Apapa 270 Squadron

Hi was wondering If anyone can enlighten me.
    I have discovered from the archives that 270 Squadron, Sunderland A, serial No. EK 585 while in Apapa went on fire then blew up while undergoing repairs.
    I was wondering what would have happened to W/O J L B Wall's crew. would they have been distributed between other crews or would they have been issued with another aircraft or would they even have returned to the UK?
    Any Info would be much appreciated.

I also was wondering If any one new of anyone from Coastal Command being awarded the French Croix De Guerre and If so why they may have received this award.

Thanks

Hi

Contrary to popular belief, crews were not allocated specific aircraft and flew whichever aircraft was available on the day of the mission. Some crews flew certain aircraft more regularly then others but following the loss of EK585 WO Wall's crew would simply have flown other aircraft when required.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks for the insight Malcolm much appreciated

Brian

Thanks

You can use the UK TNA viewer function to check to see if they flew again as a crew using the ORB

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...mber%3A+270%22

Go to the month of the accident and one or two after. Maybe you did this already

Thanks

Both Fighter Command and Bomber Command did allocate specific aircraft to specific pilots/crews. In the case of Fighter Command, it seems that officer pilots would be allocated their own aircraft but NCOs would not, at least until they became established as successful pilots. Pilots would normally fly their allocated aircraft if it was serviceable, but would fly others as convenient. Other pilots would fly "allocated" aircraft when necessary, for example when its pilot was stood down or A/B Flight was short an aircraft for a mission. So each aircraft would be flown by several pilots, and each pilot would fly more than one aircraft. Bomber crews however seem to have been allocated their own aircraft which they flew regularly, except again in the cases of unserviceability or leave. Coastal Command may have been different, at least as far as the flying boats were concerned. However, given that no two aircraft would be exactly the same, it seems likely that senior officers would always be found operating newer and better-performing examples, whereas the older, tired or just sluggish ones would be left for junior aircrew.

Thanks

Hi Thank you to everyone Dennis,Graham,Malcolm for your input.
    The wealth of knowledge and the helpfulness of everyone on this sight never ceases to amaze me.

Brian.