Thread: Needed: 2 or 3 items, total, from 2 RCAF personnel files

Thanks

Default Needed: 2 or 3 items, total, from 2 RCAF personnel files

Might someone in the Ottawa area be willing to help with what should be an easy search, but made on-site in Ottawa?

The on-line scans of documents from the RCAF personnel files of two casualties, first cousins, are only subsets of the entire files held by Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa. I am looking for someone willing a) to order each of these two airmen's files in Ottawa, b) when they're in (a day later?), to peruse each for the specific items I want, c) to use a digital camera to photograph these items, and d) to email these few images to me.

The first one is the file of pilot John Stanbridge Bird of Banff, Alberta, who went missing on a 16 Oct 1942 Spitfire op with 2 Photo Reconnaissance Unit, based in Egypt. Most RCAF personnel files I have seen include one or two portraits of the man in uniform, but there are no such photos in J.S. Bird's file. I would love a decent digital image of this man. That would be all I want from this airman's RCAF personnel file.

The second one is the file of J.S. Bird's first cousin, air gunner Robert Francis Bird of Calgary, Alberta, who was killed on a 16 January 1943 op with 61 Sqn of Bomber Command. He is buried in grave I. F. 11. of Berlin 1939-1945 War Cemetery. There should be a four-page document in R.F. Bird's file, which is entitled DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE, ESTATES BRANCH, OTTAWA, ONT. at the top of page one. Page two (it would be numbered at top center) of this four-page document is what I want. For post-death estate purposes, one of R.F. Bird's parents would have filled out this page, listing both parents and their address (I know they lived together) plus details on R.F.'s siblings. I already know of one sibling, a brother in British Columbia, but there is a chance that at least one other sibling will be listed on the unscanned document.

I have seen a similar four-page Estates Branch document in other RCAF personnel files, including that of J.S. Bird, so it should be in R.F. Bird's file, assuming a parent filled it out and mailed back the four pages.

[EDIT: Of course, I can make a request to Library and Archives Canada, and eventually someone from LAC will peruse the files and at least photocopy files that I've requested (assuming they exist). Typically LAC can take months, though last time I lucked into a surprisingly quick action. Sooner would be better, at least for the page 2 document with kin info on it, but I can wait!]

Thanks,

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 6th August 2018 at 23:13.

Thanks

Matt. Going to Ottawa Sept 20 for a week. Can do it then if no one else goes first.

Richard

Thanks

Hello Matt,

Do you have the serial number of the 2 PRU Spitfire that J6826 F/O John Stanbridge BIRD RCAF was flying when he went missing on 16 October 1942? Spitfire PR.IV AB312 looks a likely candidate.

Col.

Thanks

Thanks, Richard -- very kind of you to offer. I'll call upon you if I don't find someone sooner.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks

Hi, Col,

You are absolutely correct -- it is AB312, although the Operations Record Book has it wrong as BR312!

Matt

Thanks

Matt,

Thanks Mate. I'll inform the people that need to know.

Col.