Thread: Fl Roger William Miller vr-748300/85680

Thanks

Default Fl Roger William Miller vr-748300/85680

Hello again,
    Could anyone please help with where FL Roger William Millr came from and his DOB.
    He flew Spitfires on 152s and 611s.
    Thank you for all previous help.
    Roy

Thanks

If he was from England or Wales he was either born in Brentford in June quarter 1914 or in Medway in the March quarter 1920.

Thanks

Roy,

There is a Roger William Miller mentioned in a few newspapers in July 1937 regarding a new scholarship scheme, who ties in with the one born at Medway in 1920. The following is from the Western Press of July 23rd 1937:

AIRCRAFT INDUSTRY SCOLARSHIPS
    Training Poor Boys For Executive Posts
    The prospect of high executive positions in the aircraft industry is afforded to five lads who figure in the first year's awards of scholarships under the scheme financed by the Society of British Aircraft Constructors and administered by the Royal Aeronautical Society.
    The joint committee representing the two societies announced yesterday that it had interviewed eight youths, chosen from approximately 800 applicants, and had decided that the following shall be the first holders of the S.B.A.C. scholarships:
    Frederick Barnes (17), of Gretna Road, Coventry.
    John Dickinson (16) of Prospect Terrace, Windlestone, near Ferryhill, County Durham.
    Barry Pemberton Laight (17) of The Circle, Birmingham.
    Roger William Miller (17) of Dornberg Road, Blackheath, S.E., son of an employee at the Naval and Military Museum, Greenwich.
    Roy Ernest Stainton (17) of The Crescent, Shortstown, Bedford.

Laight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Laight

Regards

Simon

Thanks

However,
    A
    K W Miller (85650) Relinquishes his Commission on 24 Nov 52 (LG – typo?).
    This is the same (85650) Commissioned as Roger William Miller 24 Sep 40 from OR No 748200 (Block 740000-759999 RAFVR Pilots after 01-Jan-37) (LG).
    FMP records this Roger William Miller as born 12 May 1914 (Reg Brentford 3a 163 (MMS Mecklenburg)) and died Q1 1992 Cambridge 9 993.
    Might be yr bloke?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default RW Miller

Many thanks to Pete, Simon and Alclark.
    You guys are so clued up and it is great to get your accurate answers.
    Many thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Roger,

Is this officer possibly the same pilot who is mentioned in Foreman's RAF Fighter Command Victory Claim as P/O R.W.C. Miller? The claims are listed as a Ju 88 damaged shared with 5 other pilots on 4 Apr. 41 and a Bf 109 probably destroyed on 12 Aug. 41.

Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Hello Tom,
    Yes I am aware of this claim on Circus 77 near Antwerp at 1215hr. I have noticed in Victory Claims 1941-3 that he is listed as RWC Miller but I have not found what his C is for.
    I have seen some where he later flew with 611 sqn but cannot find when. Any ideas.
    Many thanks,
    Roy

Thanks

Thanks, Roy. The extra initial is quite possibly an error. I'm afraid I can't help regarding service in 611. I find no mention of him in the published history of 611 Beware! Beware!, but that doesn't rule out Williams having been in the squadron. Trolling through the ORB would be one way to find out, but, without knowing the dates to look for, would be both tedious and expensive.

Regards,
    Tom

Thanks

Tom, thanks for the reply. Yes I was wondering if the C was an error. Likewise I have checked various 611 sourses without success, hence my query.
    Best wishes,
    Roy