Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Signal Unit (MSU) 519 (G)

Thanks

Default Mobile Signal Unit (MSU) 519 (G)

Hello
    My Dad, LAC Cyril Charles Dunstone, Service Number 1547649, disembarked on July 1st 1944 (Rec / D878)
    He belonged to MSU 519 (G) and travelled through Europe (The Netherlands and Germany)
    Are there any records of this group and their command?
    A diary would help. He was dispersed from Uxbridge in April 1846.
    Any information will be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Paul.

Thanks

Paul, welcome to the forum.
    The first thing you need to do is get your Dad’s Service Record (use https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records). It will cost you 30 and take several months to arrive. It will be full of acronyms and other RAF hieroglyphs. Fear not! There are many on the forum who will help. We’ve done quite a lot over the last decade or so.
    In the meantime:-
    MSU = Mobile Signals Unit.
    (G) = don’t know – but somebody will.
    1547649 = Is in the Enlisted Block 1475000-1550000 of the RAFVR and was issued at Padgate between 01-Apr-41 and (probably) 31-Oct-41.
    1547649 = Does not show in The London Gazette. Therefore he was not subsequently Commissioned, or awarded gallantry medals. He will have been awarded Campaign Medals (not my expertise!).
    There are a lot of D-Day disembarkation experts on the forum. Not all of them are on the circuit 24-hrs every day! We might not know the answer – but we might know who does!
    There will be records of his Unit. They are usually known as Operation Record Books (ORB). Whether your Dad’s (a) survived the War, and (b) are in the UK National Archives, I do not know (not my expertise). But somebody will!
    Presume a typo for his Demobilisation (dispersed?) date of 1846?? (radio comms had, at that date, yet to become a gleam in some inventor’s eye!! LOL!).
    Good luck in your researches! If we can help – we will!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Paul and Peter,

I am unable to find 519 Mobile Signals Unit in Sturtivant's Flying Training and Support Units.
    His list of abbreviations suggests MSU as Maintenance Sub Unit. But there is list of MUs only in the book.
    Also no luck on TNA web with either unit.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

see the list of G MSU associated with No.83 group posted by Malcolm here

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...MU-what-was-it

Definition of type G MSU from Ian Brown
    Mobile signals units were introduced initially into the Bengal area in May 1944, by which time some 180 units of all types had been formed. These were made up as follows: Type 'A' (8 low power HF W/T channels) 4; Type 'B' (4 low power HF W/T channels 14; Type 'C' (4 very low power HF W/T channels) 2; Type 'D' (2 low power HF W/T channels) 7; Type 'E' (4 low power HF W/T reinforcement channels) 8; Type 'G' (2 very low power HF W/T reinforcement channels) 2; Type 'K' (1 very low power HF W/T channel) 26; Type 'L' (1 HF D/F channel) 7; Type 'M' (1 MF Beacon) 2; Type 'P' (2 VHF R/T channels) 57; Type 'Q' (1 VHF D/F channel) 57.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...al-help-sought

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 17th August 2018 at 16:01.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Pavel and Paul,
    All these acronyms, and short-forms, get changed as they pass down - by word-of-mouth - through the generations!
    Get the Service Record first. Then we will see what the RAF/RAFVR said who he was, what Unit he was in, where he went, and when he went there. There are (usually) going to be problems with the written/printed reality. When Paul has got that then we can argue about the details!!
    This looks like being a good one!!! Look forward to it!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter
    Thank you for your welcome and all the information. I have his service record here. He went to Padgate (3RC) in October 1941.
    He then went to 1.SS (No 1 Signal School) at Cranwell in April 1942 and trained as a wireless operator. He was then attached to the 502 Squadron until 1944.
    He then joined a mobile signals unit (519 (G) Group 85 and went over the channel in July 1944 (disembarked 1st July Rec/D878)
    I was told he was probably in Group 83 (An expeditionary air group) under the command the the 2nd Allied Tactical Air Force.
    I have a list of the HQs for group 83 and it goes from Normandy, to Belgium, Eindhoven (Holland) and ending in Schleswig (Germany) and it fits with the fact that my
    Dad met my mother in Eindhoven. My next step is finding the ORB, checking which group 83 or 85 he was in and finding out how he crossed the channel.
    Thanks again. Paul.

Thanks

Thanks Ross
    I assume HF W/T means High Frequency Wireless / Transmitter ??
    What does the last 2 mean?
    Paul

Thanks

High Frequency Wireless Telegraphy ie morse rather than R/T (Radio Telephony) which was voice.

2 means that there were 2 off Type G units deployed in the Bengal area out of 186 units in total

The link takes you to Ian's original post which gives source document (available to view at the TNA http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C3304669) which is an official history of RAF Signals created by the RAFAHB post war to give an overview of all use broken down by theatre.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks again. Ross.

Thanks

Hello Peter
    My Dad was a Wireless Mechanic in a Mobile Signals Unit (MSU 519 G) in Group 83 which I understand to be an Expeditionary Air Group which was a part of the 2nd Tactical Air Force (2TAF)
    He disembarked on July 1st 1944. On his service record it says ' Disembarked (Rec / D878) and a a few weeks later on 24th July 1944, he was with 71 MTLRU at Secqueville en Bessin, Normandy, near Caen.
    I want to find out, where he embarked and where the Operation Record Book for this unit is located. The National Archives recently told me they were still with the MOD. Thank you for any help. Paul.