Thread: Whitley BD233 3(C) O.T.U. lost 19.08.42

Thanks

Default Whitley BD233 3(C) O.T.U. lost 19.08.42

Finally, after many years, I am starting to get my records of aircraft crashes in Northumberland in some sort of order. As part of this process I am cross referencing my notes with official documents.

Derek Walton's Northumberland Aviation Diary mentions that Whitley BD233 crashed south of the Long Nanny Burn in the sand dunes forming part of Beadnell Bay south of Beadnell village and broke up over a wide area.

Two of the official documents I have come across so far in my collection seem to indicate that the crash occurred further north near Holy Island, one confirming that the aircraft was beached at low tide 100 yards off the north shore of the island.

Can anyone confirm this?
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim,

Air Britain Whitley File says "crashed into sea near Holy Island" which I thought maybe wasn't of much use, but on looking further I see the two places you mention are over 10 miles apart so maybe of interest.

regards Peter

Thanks

Jim

Ross provided the undermentioned info. some time ago.

"Approached Low Newton from the sea. It then turned north towards Beadnell beach, passing low over Links House, crashing just south of Long Nanny burn. As it careered over the dunes and sand it cut a pathway through the rough ground, totally breaking up in the process."

DaveW

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.

That is the same information which appears in Derek Waltons book. I wonder if this refers to another crash and not that of the Whitley. This information appears to suggest that the aircraft crashed on land but the entire crew appear to be missing, which fits with the crash being at sea, albeit possibly just off shore.

I will investigate further and await further clarification here. Maybe Ross has more information, I do know that he was investigating losses at sea a while back and we communicated on and off about such matters around 10 years ago.

Thanks

Thanks Peter,

"Crashed into sea near Holy Island" seems to be the consensus within the official documents I have looked at. As you say, the two locations are around 10 miles apart which got me thinking.

Jim