Thread: R.A.F. Bomber Command raid 12/13 August 1944 - flying bomb sites

Thanks

Default R.A.F. Bomber Command raid 12/13 August 1944 - flying bomb sites

Hello,

I'm looking for détails about the Bomber raid on flying bomb sites during the night 12/13 August 1944. I know that 20 Halifaxes bombed Z3326 that night, but I don't know from which Group and which Squadron(s).

The Bomber Command War Diaries show that 40 Halifaxes and 12 Mosquitoes bombed two launching sites and a storage depot. No aircraft lost.

I'd welcome any help about the breakdown of the attacking bombers (PFF and main force), especially main force, whether they belonged to No. 4 Group or No. 6 Group, and also what was the other flying bomb site attacked that night.

Interception & Tactic Reports for that night (AIR 14/3377) would perfectly do the job.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joss

Thanks

Joss

As a start point for you, 8 Group ORB shows that 12 Mosquito were sent to mark constructional works at La Neuville, La Breteque and St Trossy for 6 Group

I am sure others will have more detail, but if you want copies of the ORB, please e-mail

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello Pete,

Thanks for your answer. Z3326 is La Neuville. It gives me the name of the second V1 target, and the depot in Trossy St Maximin.. Will e-mail you to have copies of the relevant pages of 8 Group ORB and send you 2 PoW questionnaires of 35 Squadron members I've collected

Regards

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 23rd August 2018 at 11:21.

Thanks

Joss,

According to 6 Group ORB, two groups of 20 Halifaxes each bombed targets located in: La Breteque (427 Sqn 8 a/c & 429 Sqn 12 a/c) and Le Neuville (431 Sqn 13 a/c & 434 Sqn 7 a/c).
    Also according to Night Raid Report, of 8 Group Mosquitoes, 5 a/c accompanied the La Breteque raid and other 5 a/c lead the raid to Le Neuville.
    8 Group ORB confirms 10 Mosquitoes sent that night to lead those Canadian operations.
    Hopefully you may find this information of help.

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Grexx; 23rd August 2018 at 11:27.

Thanks

The Little Staughton ORB shows 109 Squadron marked the site at La Neuville for 20 Halifaxes of 6 Group, H-Hour was 2300 and their 3 Oboe Mosquitos had estimated target errors of 25, 60 &130 yards.
    They also had 2 of 3 Mosquitos marked the site at La Breteque for 20 Halifaxes of 6 Group, H-Hour was 2320, their estimated target errors were 60 & 105 yards.
    109 Squadron sent 3 Oboe Mosquitos to both targets while 105 Squadron sent 2 Mosquitos to each.
    Cheers
    Last edited by David Wallace; 23rd August 2018 at 11:55.

Thanks

Hello

Thanks Greg and David. You gave me enough to go. I'll have a look at these Squadron's O.R.B.s.

Joss