Thread: Supplement to Annual Reports of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution 1939-46

Thanks

Default Supplement to Annual Reports of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution 1939-46

I have seen the above publication provided as a source on many topics on the internet but I am struggling to find where this is held or how I can get access to it?

I believe the reports contain details of aircraft lost at sea during WW2.

Can anyone shed some light on how this document can be accessed?
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Jim,

The original is a bound volume held by the Rescue Records section of the RNLI at Poole HQ.

It forms part of the financial record of the RNLI for the war period but because of national security it was not open for audit until 1947.

Prior to the war all RNLI volunteer crews were paid expenses and rewards while called out for duty. This was for both Service and No Service. The difference being life/property salved or no result but launch/search carried out.

At the outbreak of war the RNLI took the far sighted view that they would extend expenses and reward scale to any civilian who carried out a live saving service at sea in the same manner as it would continue to reward RNLI volunteer crews. This money would be paid from the charity funds and so needed to be formally accounted.

The supplement is this account list - a text description ranging from one line to several columns ending in the monies paid. Ships are usually named but aircraft types are rarely given.

Some 20 years ago As a donation to the RNLI Rescue Records section I did an early manual scan, digitised and OCR to permit computer searching and returned the original volume along with images/OCR so access is now through the section.

The preface of the supplement says

"The 3rd of September, 1939, to the 8th of May, 1945
    Launches of Life-boats and Lives Rescued
    Life-boats were launched to ships in distress 3,760 times. Of these launches 2,212 were to ships in distress through attack by the enemy or from other causes due to the war. Life-boats rescued 6,376 lives.

Lives Rescued by Shore-boats and Auxiliary Rescue-boats
    Shore-boats rescued 1,168 lives, for whose rescue the Institution rewarded the rescuers.

Auxiliary rescue-boats, established by the Institution, rescued 42 lives.

Life-boats at Dunkirk
    Nineteen of the Institution’s life-boats helped to bring off men of the British Expeditionary Force and the French Army from the beaches of Dunkirk in 1940. Two of these life-boats, Ramsgate and Margate, were manned by their own crews. They brought off 3,400 men. These lives are not included in the total of 6,376 lives rescued from shipwreck by life-boats. The other seventeen life-boats were manned by naval men. There is no record of the numbers of the men whom they brought off."

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

Many thanks for that. Is the file searchable online anywhere? I have a number of crashes recorded off the Northumberland coast which might be mentioned.

One, which I have a separate thread on here, is the loss of Whitley BD233, lost off Holy Island on 19th August 1942. Do you have anything at all on this?

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...-lost-19-08-42

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim,

As far as i know and have said - not online - only accessable through Rescue records at Poole.

As a charity funded by public donation I would suggest that costs for any enquiry for our hobby does not divert RNLI funds from the lifesaving purpose of the Institution.

There is no mention of any service or no service by either lifeboat or shoreboat for BD233 off Holy Island.

The old post on BD233 contained info supplied by Derek prior to his death but subsequent research has cast doubt onto this account. Contemporary accounts now give the location as in the sea off Holy island.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 1st September 2018 at 17:27. Reason: Scratch detail for Comer - wrong whitley
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.