Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flt Sgt Later P/O Kenneth Ralph Hurrey DFM

Thanks

Default Flt Sgt Later P/O Kenneth Ralph Hurrey DFM

Trying to find out why he was awarded DFM and any other detail, he appears to have Trained in Poulson Manitoba and spent some time in Florida. His Gazette entry gives his squadron as 51 Squadron any help much appreciated. Bill Webb
    Last edited by Jagan; 30th March 2019 at 23:08. Reason: This thread is merged with a newer thread - both covering the same topic/information.

Thanks

Bill, Hi

Kenneth Ralph Hurrey
    b. 19 Apr 1924 (Reg Westbury W 5a 196, MMS Hurle).
    Enlisted 1 Nov 40-31 Aug 41 Oxford RAFVR 1319954 in Block 1311745-1325000 (must have lied about his age?).
    m. Q2 1943 Mary K Curtin (Reg Midhurst 2b 1082) – progeny (if any) not known.
    d. May 2001 (Reg Brighton 4521E E5B 216).

HTH
    Peter Davies

PS See also LG 20th Mar. 1946 Flt Lt K. R. HURREY, D.F.C., D.F.M. (173439)
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 26th August 2018 at 15:09. Reason: Additions
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thank you, he had a daughter Viv, who is the person I am trying to find out about his medals and what else he did for her (I have looked up the squadron ORBs and scary stuff some of it), I am hoping someone has Tavenders book with his citation in and can pas it on, but I am not aware of an equivalent for the DFC

Thanks

Courtesy of the book in question:

HURREY, Kenneth Ralph 1319954 Flt Sgt, 51 Sqn (Flying Hours 204.42, LG 6 Jun 44, Rec is at AIR2/8780).

Flight Sergeant Hurrey has completed 27 1/3 operational sorties as an Air Bomber mainly against heavily defended targets. Throughout these sorties he has shown courage and coolness of a very high order, thereby contributing to the fine achievement of his crew. He is recommended for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.

22nd March, 1944

Remarks by Station Commander.
    This N.C.O. is a reliable and determined Bomb Aimer and he has just completed a tour as a member of a most reliable crew. His courage and devotion to duty have been of a high order. Recommended for the award of the Distinguished Flying Medal.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default Ft Lt Hurrey

I have a problem, My partner's father Ft Lt Hurrey was with 51 Squadron in the 2nd WW. We now have his service record and log book starting from his training in Canada. His service record says he received the DFM when he was a Ft Sgt and a DFC presumably later. The problem is twofold on his service record it states he was a 'pilot' and we have photos of him in Florida, presumably training but no official record of this, he appears to have been a WO/AG or navigator when in Canada. We also have his DFM and WW2 medals but not the DFC , we have a letter from Gloucester 'medals' dept but this does not mention receiving DFC or DFM, were they different issuing agencies? Also as the medals held are carefully maintained and looked after I would have thought the DFC would have been there as well.. I am at a loss as to where to go to find more about the Florida pilot issue and how to find whether he did receive the DFC (I assume the DFM was not upgraded when he became an officer, it was not when this happened to my father who also had the DFM and then became an officer). Any help or pointers much appreciated. Bill Webb

Thanks

If your partners father was Kenneth Ralph Hurrey he got his DFM as a Air bomber on 51 Sqn

Unfortunately I cannot find confirmation of his DFC he is not listed in the Carter books that list all holders

Thanks

Kenneth Ralph Hurrey is shown with DFC and DFM in the 26 September 1944 London Gazette wef 20 September 1944.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...6722/page/4483

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks

It was not unusual for aircrew trainees to be first mustered as pilots, but then for one reason or another be "terminated from flying training course" and then be re-mustered to another flying trade, such as navigator or air bomber or air gunner. I am guessing this may be what happened in this case, even though he seems to have started his flying training under one of the American flying training schemes (Towers for US Navy, Arnold got USAAF), and then was redirected to the Canadian-headed BCATP (British Commonwealth Air Training Plan).
    David D

Thanks

Maton's Honour the Air Forces records only his DFM (with 51 Squadron).

The book also lists a 42839 Acting Flt Lt John Hurry whose award of the DFC, also with 51 Squadron, was published in the London Gazette of 23 Sep 41.

Could the two names have been mixed up by officialdom at some stage regarding the DFC entry?

Errol