Thread: Squadron Leader Robert Garner's secret role in WW2

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader Robert Garner's secret role in WW2

Any information please on Sqd Ldr Robert GARNER's role regrading RDX explosive and Barnes Wallis bombs? All I know is that he produced a report in 1941 called 'Beautiful New Bomb' in association with Air Commodore Patrick Huskinson and that he was involved in Highball. Any info on his flying career in WW11 would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Got my man now . Sqd Ldr Garner one of Churchill's backroom boys working on bombs.

Thanks

Garner was responsible for the big bomb dropped on Emden, described as the biggest bomb of its time. Does anyone know anything about this bomb?

Thanks

Thanks

thank you alieneyes.

Thanks

Robin,

Following from the LG:-

MISCELLANEOUS. The undermentioned Warrant Officers are granted permanent commissions as Flying Officers on probation with effect from the dates stated and with seniority of 11th Sept. 1933 :— Commissioned Armament Officer. Robert Henry GARNER, 11th Sept. 1933.
    COMMISSIONED ARMAMENT OFFICER. Flying Officer on probation Robert Henry GARNER is confirmed in rank. 11th Sept. 1934
    COMMISSIONED ARMAMENT OFFICERS. The undermentioned Flying Officers are promoted to the rank of Flight Lieutenant. I4th Apr. 1939: — Robert Henry GARNER.
    The undermentioned promotions are made with effect from 1st Sept. 1940:- Flight Lieutenants to be Squadron Leaders (temporary}. Robert Henry GARNER (35004).
    1 Dec 1941 Sqn. Ldrs. to be Wg. Cdrs. (temp.). R. H. GARNER (35004).
    Retirement. The undermtd. (and re-employed): — R. H. GARNER (35004).- 1st Apr. 1943.
    The undermentioned relinquish the temporary rank of Wing Commander,1st Nov. 1947: — Squadron Leaders (substantive): —R. H. GARNER (35004).
    The undermentioned relinquish the temporary rank of Squadron Leader, 1st Nov. 1947: — Flight Lieutenants (substantive)' (war substantive Squadron Leaders):— R. H. GARNER (35004).
    Reversion to retired list. Flight Lieutenant :R. H. GARNER i(35004) retaining the rank of Wing Commander. 8th Mar. 1950.

There's a Sapper Robert H Garner in the WW1 medal rolls. Don't know if it's him - but they did tend to blow things up!! What his first Retirement (1 Apr 43) was all about, don't know. But if his final retirement was indicative of having reached age 55 then that makes him born in 1895-ish. Must have been in WW1, or in very early RAF. His OR number will give the clue.

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

thank you for the feedback. Sqd Ldr Garner was involved in early trials of the Highball bouncing bomb. The name came to my attention during research into the MAEE